Measure alignment with pickup measure

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

landline
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by landline » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 am

I imported a music xml file into Finale. The first quarter note is the pickup measure. Finale did not recognize it as such, and the score is barred on each third beat. How can I tell it to take the first note and make it a pickup measure, and correctly align the remainder of the score?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:04 am

You can select all of the score, and drag it to the proper starting beat. Then, change the time signature in the first measure to 1/4, or whatever you need it to be. Finally, set the pickup measure time signature to display as the correct one.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Or, use the pickup measure item in the Document menu and Finale should automatically make the adjustment of the rest of the score. Some users don't use that feature, but I have been an avid user since day one. It works well for well over 90% of my projects.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

landline
Finale Version: 2012

Post by landline » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Final solution was a combination of both suggestions.

I had tried the pickup measure before, but it doesn't take in to account that you just want the first quarter note as the pickup measure, and deletes it. So I inserted a new measure stack at the beginning, cut and paste the quarter notes to the first measure at the last position, then turned that into the pickup measure.

Now all that was left was to get rid of the quarter rests at the beginning of the second measure. So I converted the rest of the song to 1/4 time, and deleted the measure with the quarter rests. Then I selected from that measure to the end, and converted to 4/4. It was barred correctly. FInally, I made the first measure 4/4, and it cooperated as well.

Seemed kind of awkward overall, but as with anything else, there is a way around it. It would be easier if you could highlight the notes you want in the pick-up, and select the option from the Document menu, then have it intelligently rebar the rest of the score. Too much to ask? :)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Since my approach worked for my test, seeing your file would probably give us a chance to test it for ourselves.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."