Speedy Entry - MIDI Input Channel - Restrict to Ch. 1????

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

PianoWizard
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by PianoWizard » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:19 am

Is it possible to restrict the MIDI channel that Finale 'listens' to when entering notes via Speedy entry w/a MIDI keyboard? I have a number of MIDI devices in my studio and I am using a set of percussion pads (Akai LPD8) that I am triggering Finale key commands with via Bome MIDI Translator. The problem is I cannot use the pads in 'PAD' mode because in that mode Note On/Off data is sent from the LPD8 and regardless of the channel I choose to send that data on Speedy Entry while in Hands Free (Caps Lock on) mode will enter note data. Is it not possible to restrict Speedy Entry to only listen to channel 1 for input data from my keyboard? Thanks for any replies.

Dave

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Have you tried Midi/Audio -> Device Setup -> Midi Thru -> instead of the usual "Smart" button, try Fixed Channel : 1. Not tested.
Otherwise, your midi interface maybe set to send on a unique channel temporarily.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

PianoWizard

Post by PianoWizard » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:37 pm

Hey Michelp. Thanks for the reply. Yes, that was the first thing I tried and it did not prevent Speedy Entry from picking up notes played on any channel. I believe the MIDI Thru setting is strictly related to hearing a playback sound while inputting notes.

Dave

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:43 pm

I have something called Bome's MIDI Translator that sits between the MIDI device and Finale. It might be able to filter out all but channel 1. Maybe check out their website.

PianoWizard

Post by PianoWizard » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:32 am

Hey Motet. Yeah, I am using Bome as well (see my initial post). Bome doesn't really sit 'between' your MIDI controller and Finale in the sense it could intercept messages from your keyboard controller before they reach Finale or prevent any MIDI messages from reaching Finale. I did think of that initially though as well but it is not a solution unfortunately. Thanks for the reply.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:45 am

I use the lowest octave of the keyboard to trigger various keyboard commands and don't pass those note on and off commands on to Finale ("Skip Outgoing Action"). Can't you skip outgoing action for those notes received from your pads?

PianoWizard

Post by PianoWizard » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:45 am

Wow. Thanks Motet! Your reply got me taking a deeper dive in my Bome setup and I got it to work to restrict the Note On/Off messages from my LPD8 into Finale.

The basics are that I connected my keyboard's MIDI interface to the Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out in the Bome MIDI Router pane and then made Bome MIDI Translator 1 as my Input Device in the Finale MIDI Setup while unchecking Auto-Detect Input Devices. I then left the LPD8 drum pads disconnected from the Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out in the Bome MIDI Router pane and now those messages are not being sent to Finale but are being received, translated and kicking out my programmed key commands. Not sure how you have it setup utilizing the 'Skip Outgoing Action' command from the Rules pane but my solely using the Router has resolved my issue.

I guess in the end Bome does serve as a central MIDI routing handler and is in essence 'between' my MIDI devices and any open software apps. I can't say what my routings were before making these adjustments but this is working as desired. Thanks for your input and continuing to reply despite my speaking with certainty (erroneous certainty) about how Bome works when I was ill-informed. I am new to Bome and have had good success programming it for my desired key commands but I wasn't all that hip to the Routing capabilities. Thanks for your help. Issue resolved.

Dave

motet

Post by motet » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:38 pm

In my case I've only got one MIDI device, my keyboard, and every MIDI signal goes through the set of Bome's "translators," which then decide whether to pass the note on or simulate a (computer) keypress. Bome's is powerful but pretty arcane. I spent a long time working it all out but now can enter music with Speedy entry "step time" mostly without taking my hands off the MIDI keyboard.

Here's my diagram of what that lowest octave on the keyboard does:
Attachments
FinaleSpeedy.png

PianoWizard

Post by PianoWizard » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:01 am

Thanks for sharing your setup Motet; definitely gives me some new ideas to consider for speeding up the workflow. My Bome setup its still working great and I am able to advance my LPD8 key command configuration significantly now since the Note On/Off messages are not reaching Speedy input.

I posted this on the Feature Request page and I believe you replied to it but I sure wish there were a way in Speedy entry to position the Crossbar on a specific note for altering that note by holding down a modifier key and pressing a key on the MIDI keyboard. Even if assigning up/down arrows to keys on my MIDI keyboard ala what you are doing it still would be so much faster to just hold down a modifier key and strike the desired pitch. Does this suggestion resonate with you at all in terms of improving workflow? I am hoping this idea could gain some momentum on the forum.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave