Changing the number above a multimeasure rest

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:51 am

I extracted the parts of a composition, only to realise that there was a mistake in the original score regarding the placement of a passage of music, which I have accordingly corrected. The result of this is that I now need to change the numbers above two multimeasure rests in some of the parts (one has to be decreased and the other increased). Is there any way of doing this? I know that in Sibelius, if you change something in the original score, the parts automatically change as well, but am not sure if this is possible with Finale.
Florio

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:02 am

To change the number above a multimeasure rest, you have to change the number of measures included in the multimeasure rest.

In Finale you have to do it manually:

(You must be in Page View)
Measure Tool.
Select the multimeasure rest.
Measure menu > Multimeasure Rests > Break

Now the multimeasure rest is broken into individual rests.

To insert extra measures:
Measure menu > Insert...

To delete measures, select them, and delete them (in the Measure menu there is a Delete command - it has a keyboard shortcut).

When you have the correct number of measures, select them, and go to
Measure menu > Multimeasure Rests > Create

Note, By The Way, that the submenu Multimeasure Rests also has an "Edit..." command.
Check it out.
You might like some of the Edit command's layout options, e. g. the option of changing the multimeasure rest shape's End Point position before a clef change.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996