triplets

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musiktjej

Post by musiktjej » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:38 am

Ok, so I have been entering triplet eigth notes in this piece with no problem until suddenly this:

In 3/4 measure: I have a half note and want to add two eigth note triplet rests and then a triplet eighth note C below the staff in the bass clef. This program will not let me do this? Why?

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 am

What happened? Which entry method do you use?

Try to enter a quarter instead of the half note, then the triplet. Then change the quarter to a half note.

Peter

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:14 am

musiktjej,

You are using Finale 2005 for Windows, right?
As Far As I Know, the inability to enter a tuplet just before the barline only occurs in one special entry method:

Entering the note values with the mouse (with the option "Check for Extra Notes" toggled on), first as normal notes (overfilling the measure), then switching from Simple Entry Tool to Tuplet Tool, and clicking the first note of the group to change the notes from normal notes to tuplet notes.

The quick fix:
In the Simple Entry Options, toggle off the option "Check for Extra Notes".

The smarter fix:
Take the time to learn some of the other entry methods.
Both the Simple Entry Tool and the Speedy Entry Tool have a Tuplet (sub-)Tool, so it's rarely necessary to leave the Entry Tool, and switch to the Tuplet Tool.

(On The Other Hand, the Tuplet Tool is very useful for editing a tuplet already entered.
Instead of using the Tuplet Tool to edit a tuplet you can also use the Mass Edit Tool to edit in one go all the tuplets of a selected region)

Here's the entry string in Simple Entry for entering in 3/4 time a half note C followed by an eighth triplet containing two eighth rests and an eighth C, by using the computer keyboard and Simple Entry's Tuplet (sub-)Tool:

(Num Lock must be on in order to make the number keys on the NumPad to work)
6 (I want a half note...)
C (...namely a C...)
4 (...and an eighth...)
0 (...namely an eighth rest...)
9 (...activating Simple Entry's Tuplet Tool...)
0 (...entering the second triplet eighth as a rest...)
C (...entering the third triplet eighth as a C)

...and the Speedy Entry string for the same music, this time by using the computer keyboard and Speedy Entry's Tuplet (sub-)Tool (please forgive me if these keys are not completely correct; I'm using a Mac):

Place the entry crosshair on the 'C' scale step
6 (...entering the half note...)
Ctrl-3 (...activating Speedy Entry's Tuplet Tool, defining a triplet...)
Shift-Ctrl-4 (...entering an eighth rest, defining the triplet as an eighth triplet...)
Shift-Ctrl-4 (...entering the second triplet eighth as a rest...)
4 (...entering the third triplet eighth as a C)

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996