Da Capo al Fine

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:38 pm

I've put a D.C. al Fine at the end of a composition and, as I intended, during playback the piece is performed until the last bar after which it recommences from the beginning. The problem is that it doesn't stop at the end of bar 12 where I have placed a fermata over all parts. What should I be doing here?
Florio

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:47 pm

You should put a repeat there (e. g. a Fine text repeat), with playback effect set to stop on Pass 2.

If you don't want the Fine to display, use the text style Hidden.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Florio

Post by Florio » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm still having problems working out how to use the Da Capo repeat function properly (perhaps because I have an Italian version of Finale!).
I'm now editing a Rondo. At three different points in the score, there is a D.C. indicated--the performers should return to the beginning of the score, play the first 12 bars, and then resume playing where they left off to carry out the D.C. In playback I have no problems returning to the beginning of the piece, but I can't get Finale to then jump after bar 12.
Florio

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Florio,

Send me an e-mail, and I will send you a demo file that repeats in the pattern you describe.

In short:

Place a text repeat Marker (not a Jumper) at each Target measure (e. g. m. 24, 36, 48).

Place 3 text repeat Jumpers in measure 12:
one Jumper for the jump on Pass 2 to m. 24.
one Jumper for the jump on Pass 3 to m. 36.
one Jumper for the jump on Pass 4 to m. 48.

If you don't want these text repeats to display, use the text style Hidden.

Note, By The Way, that the Repeat Tool has a useful command in the Repeat menu:
Check Repeats.
The command Check Repeats gives you a survey over the playback route, so you - without actually playing back the entire Rondo - can check that the repeats work as desired.

Peter

PS
You could also do it with repeat endings, but I suppose that the layout is supposed to display text repeats rather than repeat endings?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996