fretboards on bottom of page without changing whole document

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 am

Hi. How would I put fretboard chord diagrams (eg: Chords used in this song)

in a staff measure at the end of a doc? I have created an empty measure, put 8th note rests in it, and then things get fuzzy. I go to Chord menu, Show Fretboards, I enter chords but every chord in the document is a fretboard. I only want the measure at the end to display the fretboards. I also went to Staff tool to hide the staff, and everything disappears.

I use Finale 2003 on a PC.

Help!

thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:42 am

Bobby wrote:...I have created an empty measure, put 8th note rests in it, and then things get fuzzy. I go to Chord menu, Show Fretboards, I enter chords but every chord in the document is a fretboard. I only want the measure at the end to display the fretboards....
Enter all the chord symbols.
In Mass Edit Tool, select all measures except the measure at the end, and go to
Mass Edit menu > Change > Chord Assignments...
In the dialog box, in the pane "Show", deselect "Fretboard".

Bobby wrote:...I also went to Staff tool to hide the staff, and everything disappears...
Create a staff style for use on the measure at the end:
In the pop up menu Staff, choose "0-line with Full Barline".
As an Alternate Notation, choose "Blank Notation" applied to Layer 4, and leave the 3 "Show..." options selected. Click OK.
In the pane "Items to Display", deselect "Barlines", Clefs", "Key Signatures", and "Time Signatures".

Use the Mass Edit Tool to move the 8th rests to Layer 4.

Note, By The Way, that you can position chord symbols and fretboards independently (look in the Chord menu).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 am

Hi Peter. Thanks for the tip on MassEdit, deselect Fretboards. That works. I have fretboard symbols for F, Bb, Eb, and F7. I put 1/4 note rests in the measure, and used Speedy entry to use the "O" key to hide the rest.

Now, to hide the staff is another matter. You said "in the pop up menu Staff, choose "0-line with Full Barline". " I don't have 0-line with Full Barline anywhere in the Staff popup menu. I have Slash, Rhythmic, etc. I do have 1-line staff Full Barline, and 1 line Staff Short Barline, but no 0-line staff. Is there any other place to find 0-line ?

Thanks again. This is a great site.

Bobby

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:26 pm

Bobby wrote:...I put 1/4 note rests in the measure, and used Speedy entry to use the "O" key to hide the rest...
For the measure at the end I suggested a staff style with "Blank Notation: Layer 4", since that does the hiding automatically (no need to hide individual rests).
But I didn't know that you only have 4 chord symbols, and I suppose that it doesn't take long to hide 4 rests individually.

Bobby wrote:...Now, to hide the staff is another matter. You said "in the pop up menu Staff, choose "0-line with Full Barline". " I don't have 0-line with Full Barline anywhere in the Staff popup menu. I have Slash, Rhythmic, etc. I do have 1-line staff Full Barline, and 1 line Staff Short Barline, but no 0-line staff. Is there any other place to find 0-line ?...
Actually I don't have Finale 2003 installed anymore, I just assumed that the Staff Tool was the same as in Finale 2004:

In my pop up menu "Staff" I have the menu items

Standard 5-line
1-line with Full Barline
1-line with Short Barline
0-line with Full Barline
Other...

If you don't have "0-line with Full Barline", choose "Other...", and make a custom 0-line staff.

When I click the button "Select..." next to the option "Alternate Notation", I get a dialog box with 6 options:
Slash Notation
Rhythmic Notation
One-Bar Repeat(s)
Two-Bar Repeat(s)
Blank Notation
Normal Notation

Are you saying that you have Slash Notation and Rhythmic Notation in the pop up menu with staff types?
It doesn't sound like Finale, but rather one of Finale's smaller siblings.

Peter

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi Peter. Unfortunately, I'm on the road now, and it's a little different situation. I'm using my Mac Powerbook, with Finale 2006. Maybe our terminology is a bit different for "pop-up".

When I'm in a document, and click the Staff Tool button and highlight 1 or more measures, then I crtl click, and I get a popup menu. In that menu, there's staff styles: 01 through 20, Slash, Rythmic, Blank Layer 1, Blank Layer 4, Blank all layer, one bar repeat, two bar repeat, normal, etc. 0-line with Full Barline is not listed. BUT, when I went to the Staff Menu tab at the top of the page, and clicked on Define Staff Styles, I get a larege menu box (Staff Styles) that has a drop down box listed as "Staff". In there is where I found 0-line with full bar line.

I highlight the last measure to make it 0-line, and any bar in the document that has Staff Style applied, goes blank also.

I hope I'm making my self clear. Sometimes I confuse myself!

Anyway, I know we're on the right path, I just need to get all the way there.

Thanks again, Peter. Your help to all of us is invaluable.

Bobby

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:19 am

You're right, our terminology is a bit different for "pop up".

The menu that appears on ctrl-click (or right-click, if you have a two-button mouse programmed to do so) is usually called a context menu, since its contents depend on the context (i. e. where you click, and what tool you are in).

The "drop down box" you mention is usually called a 'menu' rather than a 'box'.
That menu is what I was referring to as "pop up" menu.

I'm glad to hear that you got it to work.

Peter