Two voices in simple entry?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SeraAmadis

Post by SeraAmadis » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:48 pm

Greetings, everyone.

I was wondering how to create second voice on a staff in simple entry. I know how to do it in speedy entry, but I don't have time to sit down at my keyboard and tap out all the notes. So far, I've just been tying notes (eighth notes over a half note = all eighth notes with half of them tied), but it looks terrible and is more difficult to read. If anyone could let me know how to do two voices in the same staff in simple entry, I would really appreciate it!

~Sarah

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:59 pm

You can't use the Voice1/Voice2 feature in Simple Entry, since it's only available in Speedy Entry.

Instead, use layers.

Peter

By The Way:
The Voice1/Voice2 feature is a special feature.
It has its weaknesses, but it's useful in keyboard notation.
One of its useful features is that you can add a tie between a Voice1 note and a Voice2 note.
You can't add a tie between notes in different layers.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SeraAmadis

Post by SeraAmadis » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:16 pm

I've thought about layers, but, for some reason, they seem to hate me. I select the region I want to move to a new layer, but when I click "OK" for it to move, it says "Nothing selected to move or copy." I've followed the directions provided in the manual religiously, so I don't know what's wrong with that...

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:56 pm

Perhaps it says the truth:
"Nothing selected to move or copy"

If the measures are empty, you can't move or copy anything, even if the measures are selected.
If you want to copy or move something from Layer 1 to another layer, then there must be some entries in Layer 1.

If you merely want to go to another layer (e. g. because you want to enter music into that layer), use the pop menu in the lower left corner of the document window.
Or learn the keyboard shortcuts for going to a layer.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SeraAmadis

Post by SeraAmadis » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:24 am

Ah-ha! The pop menu! In all my agonizing over the user's manual, I have never found anything about layers and the pop menu (maybe I'm not observant enough). But it all makes sense now! Thank you!
I still don't understand about the move/copy layers thing, though---the measures that I select are, indeed, full of plenty of music, but Finale seems to think differently. Oh well. I guess it's not quite as important as before now that I have discovered those nice little numbers at the bottom *loves layer numbers*

Cloudknight

Post by Cloudknight » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 am

What is the keyboard shortcut for switching to layers? (in simple entry that is)
Finale 2006 User

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:15 am

In the Speedy Entry Tool's entry rectangle you can cycle through the layers with Shift-DownArrow, and cycle backwards with Shift-UpArrow.

Unlike the Speedy Entry Tool, the Simple Entry Tool doesn't have its own "Simple Entry Tool layer switching shortcuts".

Instead, use the general layer switching shortcuts (you can see them in the View menu).
They work in all tools:

Windows:
Layer 1: Shift-Alt-1
Layer 2: Shift-Alt-2
Layer 3: Shift-Alt-3
Layer 4: Shift-Alt-4

Mac OS X:
Layer 1: Option-Command-1
Layer 2: Option-Command-2
Layer 3: Option-Command-3
Layer 4: Option-Command-4

Peter