fretboard maps and hiding time signatures

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

theorytext70

Post by theorytext70 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:41 pm

I want to create guitar chord charts that show R=root, 3, 5, 7 ,9, etc. The fretboard diagram doesn't have alphabet nor numbers above 5.
Is there a way to do this.

Also, still can't hide the time signature. I click on measure tool, double click the measure and measure attributes pops up. There is nothing in the measure attributes that says hide time signature. Does Finale Guitar not have all the necessary attributes to write a book?
I saw Mark Levine's Jazz theory book was written with Finale.

I really need those intervals to be shown on the chord diagrams.

Finally, can you do special diagrams like a horizontal fretboard map or a circle of fifths?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:45 pm

I don't think Finale Guitar can do those special tasks (except perhaps hide time signatures).

To me it sounds like you should upgrade to Finale:

Finale's Chord Tool has a Fretboard Editor where you can easily create custom fretboard diagrams.

It may be possible to hide time signatures with Finale Guitar (but I'm not sure):
Can Finale Guitar edit Staff Attributes, or apply Staff Styles?

Special diagrams like a horizontal fretboard or a circle of fifths can be done in Finale's Shape Designer.
I know because I've "been there, done that".

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

theorytext70

Post by theorytext70 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:31 pm

I have been killing myself because it says on the Box "Hide Key And Time Signatures." I tried everything you recommended and can't figure out why it would say that on the box if it weren't so.

Guess I will keep trying.

Thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:01 am

I don't know Finale Guitar, but in the full Finale there is an option in the Measure Attributes called "Hide Cautionary Clefs, Key and Time Signatures".

Is that what you are talking about?

"Hide Cautionary Clefs, Key and Time Signatures" doesn't hide clefs, key signatures and time signatures.
It does exactly what it says, namely hide cautionary clefs, key signatures and time signatures.
In Other Words:
If the first measure of a system displays a new clef, key signature or time signature, then the last measure in the previous system by default displays a cautionary clef, key signature or time signature.
You can ovverride this default behaviour with "Hide Cautionary Clefs, Key and Time Signatures".

In the full Finale the dialog box Measure Attributes has a "Time Signature:" pop up menu with the menu items
"Show if Needed"
"Always Show"
"Always Hide"

Peter
Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996