Automatically transcending through stanzas

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mussashimits

Post by mussashimits » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 am

Hello,
I'm sorry, but I'm very new to Finale and I need to figure out a few things before I can get started. I'm having a problem and am not sure how to search for it in the guide.

Is there a way to make Finale automatically carry a note over from one stanza to the next if it is too long for that one stanza? In other words, if I have one stanza with one quarter note in it and I want to insert a whole note, I want it to just carry the whole note into the next stanza automatically.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks very much.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:02 pm

You can find that feature in both the Simple Entry Tool and the Speedy Entry Tool.

Simple Entry Tool:
Don't use the mouse for note entry, but one of the other entry methods, e. g. use the computer keyboard.
In the Simple Entry Options, "Use Simple Entry Caret" must be selected.
Finale will automatically tie the superfluous note duration across the barline.

Speedy Entry Tool:
In the Speedy menu, "Check for Extra Notes" must be selected.
When leaving the measure, Finale will display the dialog box "There Are Too Many Beats in This Measure".
One of the options in the dialog box is "Move the extra notes to the next measure".

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mussashimits

Post by mussashimits » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Thank you very much for your help. I believe the speedy entry is what I need. It just seems that I can't figure out how to use it. What I'm trying to do at this point is move four different measures back by one quarter rest, without distorting the music in those measures.

Would it be too much to ask for a step by step process to do this? Until then I'll keep playing with it. Thanks
EDIT: seems I figured it out now. Thank you