Speed entry and french keyboard

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

crotale

Post by crotale » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 am

Hi,

I am learning the speedy entry tool, and to change measure I need to press [ to go backward and ] to go forward 1 measure. My keyboard is french so I need to press alt-[ to get the right sign. The problem is that it won't work in the speed entry tool.

Any solutions?

(Don't tell me use the mouse I know that!)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:52 am

What operating system (Windows? Mac?) are you using?

I suggest that you switch to the american keyboard layout while inputting notes with Speedy Entry.

On your french computer keyboard the painted letters display what you get when you use the french keyboard layout.
Of course these painted letters will not display what you get, when you use the american keyboard layout.

For fast switching between french and american keyboard layout you can set up a hotkey.
I use alt-command-spacebar (on a Mac).

When you have entered the notes, you will probably want to switch back to french keyboard layout, e. g. for entering lyrics in french.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

crotale

Post by crotale » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:45 am

I have a PC. It is a good Idea to be able to switch from french to english, but doesn't seem easy to do. In "Claviers" I only have french, no english option. My Windows XP is French only.

If someone knows how to do that I'd be pleased to know.

Thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm not sure what it's called in the french version of Windows, but...

Look in the Control Panel for "Regional and Language Options".
In the "Languages" Tab, there is a section called "Text services and input languages", with a button marked "Details...".

Clicking on that button will bring up a dialog which allows for the addition of other Languages/Keyboard Layouts.
Once an additional language has been configured, the language bar can be set up to allow for quick changing between the different keyboard layouts.

Once the locales have been configured, a hotkey can be assigned to change between keyboard layouts.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996