USER MANUAL problem

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:06 pm

have installed finale2008 from a dvd onto a new MAC Pro Quad with 9 GB in RAM and 2.5 terabytes of space that involves a RAID. the quad is empty except for the MAC stuff - tiger, itunes, safari, dashboard, and the DSL.
because i am so new to finale, i decided to look at the user manual - and clicked on it on the page where the setup wizard and other buttons are. for whatever reason, this caused safari to launch with a message that safari could not find the file at this direcion
/Applications/Finale2008/Finale_csh.htm
the address placed inside the safari url was
file://macintoshhd/Applications/Finale%2008/Finale_csh.htm#1630
(these two have been copied exactly as appearing)
first of all, a url most likely would have http://www or something like that to start.
Is the user manual supposed to be on the dvd with which finale is installed - or does one go to the site thru this type of launch to look at it on the finale site?
any ideas as to what i should do? finale itself seems to be working. i checked inside the finale folder that was set up during install, and nothing seems to indicate that a user manual is there.
thanks for all replies and suggestions.
g :cry:
ding

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:59 am

It's true that a web address (URL) usually has http://www or something like that to start.
However, a web browser like Safari can also open files on your own hard drive.

There's nothing wrong with Safari launching.
The user manual for Finale 2008 - in .htm format - uses Safari as viewer.
Earlier versions of Finale have manuals in .pdf format, using Adobe Reader as viewer.

From your description it sounds like the .htm user manual isn't properly installed.
Look in the Finale 2008 folder.
There should be a subfolder called "Help Files" inside the Finale 2008 folder.
If it isn't there, you should get the Finale 2008 DVD, and install the User Manual.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Richard Ashmore

Post by Richard Ashmore » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:36 am

hermanding wrote: Is the user manual supposed to be on the dvd with which finale is installed - or does one go to the site thru this type of launch to look at it on the finale site?

g :cry:
My understanding is that the User Manual is, by default, on-line. If you go here, http://makemusic.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m ... _faqid=799 , you can download a large .pdf of the manual.

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

i will check the folder - and also the site.

any ideas - if i download from this site and have a .pdf - and finale2008 uses .htm - will that be a problem for me to view the manual?

believe me, i appreciate all the knowledge people offer me
ding :D
ding

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 pm

after talking to the finale people in MN (i guess) they suggested we go to their site and download the .pdf of the user manual - since it is not on the dvd sent to us. one can see the manual on their site but it does not download to the desktop or anything like that, so we used a text editor in the mac quad and saved it that way. it is around 1900 pages long.
thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my question :D :D ding
ding