Playback features: Repeat question

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

squareftgardener

Post by squareftgardener » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:17 am

I am new to Finale 2010b, and this is my first post on this forum.

My problem is regarding playback. I see 2 "repeat" buttons on the playback controls, but I can't select any number other than "1" for either button.

So, does this feature pertain only to music with repeats within the music--maybe specifying the first iteration of the repeat?

Or, can this feature be used to playback the selected measures in a loop which repeats the number of times specified on the playback controls? I am really hoping that it is possible to play things back in a loop fashion.

Can any of you experienced users help me figure this out?

Thanks much, in advance.

Carolyn

Maryk4music
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Maryk4music » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 pm

The repeat box is not designed to work as a loop tool for playback.

The repeat box in the Playback controls is tied to the repeat tool. If you expand the box you will notice a repeat box under both the from and to headings. You cannot select an additional repeat unless you have added a repeat with the repeat tools. The "Oh, Susannah (tutorial files 2a and 2b in Finale 2009) provide an lesson on adding repeats. If you open the 2b sample the repeats have been added. If you play it back, you will notice that when the second verse place, the repeat box shows the number 2. If you were doing a song like "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" with 20+ verses, you could enter a number in the repeat box to limit which repeats (say 1-4) you want to hear. You can specify a range of measures to play back (From and To).

If the playback control window is closed, you can hold the space bar and click anywhere in the score to begin playback (does not scroll). Click the mouse to stop. Holding down the shift and spacebar allows you to "scrub" the score, playing whatever notes you put your cursor on. Holding down the option shift and spacebar limits the scrubbed playback to a single staff.

Of course you can choose to solo or mute staffs in the Instrument List window.

Hope this helps. Enjoy Finale!