Composing for Guitar

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sun May 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Easy questions, because I'm just now trying a Guitar Staff in it's truer sense; I've BEEN using "Acoustic Guitar" Staff line, and entering Chord "Letters" and as for now, that has been all that I needed.

Here are my questions and puzzlements.

OK, choose Acoustic Guitar Staff and put in Letter Chords and NO NOTES on the staff; on playback it sounds like a keyboard??????? What am I doing wrong?

I added "slash" markings; simple four slashes per measure in 4/4 time; it does nothing on playback. I thought maybe it'd PLAY the chords that I've shown on each beat; are the slashes just for printing and not listening?
Yes, I've learned that for the letter chords to SOUND, you've got to put that letter on every beat that you want it to sound.

OK, so now on Acoustic Guitar Staff, I added a simple line melody, and on playback it sounds like a guitar; I'm assuming that if I added 3 or 4 stacked notes [chords] they'd SOUND like a guitar, so no quesitons on that.

No, not into fretboard icons yet, and doubtful that I will for a LONG time; just want the sounds for now.

OK, chord letters sound like keyboard, and slashes are only for printing?

thx,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Larry,
I think you've got it!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon May 31, 2010 5:26 am

miker wrote:Larry,
I think you've got it!
But why do the letter Chords "sound like" a keyboard on an Acoustic Guitar Staff?

And then you're saying the "slashes" are "just for printing"? and cannot create a "sound"?

Just trying to be sure.

thx,

thx,
PC; Windows XP

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon May 31, 2010 9:07 am

To change the playback sound, try this :
Instrument list window, use the triangle on the left of the staff to see all 4 layers, chords, expression.
For the chords, create a "New instrument" (via the pop-up in the middle) and give it a new midi channel, and a guitar patch.

Slashes are visual. You need to enter notes (which the slash staff style will hide) or chord symbols to hear something.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon May 31, 2010 3:06 pm

michelp wrote:To change the playback sound, try this :
Instrument list window, use the triangle on the left of the staff to see all 4 layers, chords, expression............................
Still being a beginner, I think I'm missing an implied instruction; between your "Instrument list window"................................................. and "use the triangle on the left of the staff to see all 4 layers, chords, expression....."

When I go to "Windows" "Instrument List", yes, of course I get the Instrument List "Menu/Window", but then you say "use the triangle", well, thus far, no triangles have appeared; what directive goes between these two instructions?

Thanks for your help; I do want to try this.

PC; Windows XP

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon May 31, 2010 3:32 pm

In the second column (Staff Name) right under the word "Staff" you should see a small, downward pointing arrow. Click it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 pm

On the Mac, it looks likes this.
Attachments
chords.jpg
chords.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon May 31, 2010 3:56 pm

miker wrote:In the second column (Staff Name) right under the word "Staff" you should see a small, downward pointing arrow. Click it.
OK, I was looking at the Staff on the Sheet Music; I see, it's the "Staff Column".... Thanks a lot; I've only used Instrument List to turn on or off any given staff; and now, when I get into the "GM" Column I see 128 different Instrument/Sounds... wow. I see a lot of ADVENTURE here, and I've got a lot to learn about the "Instrument List".

I'll try to find out what GM means. [OK, I did].

thx,

PC; Windows XP

kobitz

Post by kobitz » Mon May 31, 2010 5:58 pm

LariRudi wrote:
And then you're saying the "slashes" are "just for printing"? and cannot create a "sound"?
I don't mean to confuse anyone. LariRudi, I think you've figured out how to change the chord playback sound to guitar.

But, if you want to enter in notes and convert them to slash notation, you can still hear the notes you entered on playback by applying a staff style and you can turn off the chord playback.

Use the selection tool to highlight the measures ->click on the staff tool -> click staff then apply staff style then Slash Notation. All you see is slashes but the notes you entered still play back.

To disable the CHORD SYMBOL from playing back, just click on the chord tool, then click chord and UNCHECK enable chord playback.

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon May 31, 2010 6:02 pm

kobitz wrote:
LariRudi wrote:
I don't mean to confuse anyone. LariRudi, I think you've figured out how to change the chord playback sound to guitar.

But, if you want to enter in notes and convert them to slash notation, you can still hear the notes you entered on playback by applying a staff style and you can turn off the chord playback.

Use the selection tool to highlight the measures ->click on the staff tool -> click staff then apply staff style then Slash Notation. All you see is slashes but the notes you entered still play back.

To disable the CHORD SYMBOL from playing back, just click on the chord tool, then click chord and UNCHECK enable chord playback.
You're not confusing me.... somebody above alluded to that, too, but you've given me extra details that will help me. I'm keeping all these notes for reference.

thx,

PC; Windows XP