Hand written Concert Band piece

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rmeyer23

Post by rmeyer23 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 pm

I have a hand written Concert Band piece that contains the score and all of the parts. I tried to scan it into SmartScore X, but it failed misterably.

I know that I will have to enter it in by hand. Since this will be the first time that I have tackled a project this large, I wanted to know what was the best way to go about it. (I will be using Finale 2010 on the PC)

Should I start with a concert band score template and enter each part into the template or should I create individual parts and then copy the completed part into the score template?

I look forward to your relies.

Thanks, Ron M

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:05 pm

If the template fits your needs, I would start there.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Post by #84 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Start with a score template, then add or delete staves as necessary.

Enter one page at a time from the original score, OR one complete part at a time from the parts. Make two passes on each part. Do the raw notation first, then come back and add all the dynamics and phrasing. Create a staff list for all expressions which appear in ALL parts (rehearsal letters, tempo markings, etc.).

Copy & paste all duplicate material, there will be a lot of this in a concert band score. Finale will handle all the transpos if you copy, i.e., a flute part to clarinet.

You can also copy, i.e., a baritone passage to tuba and then transpose it down the 8ve.

Another shortcut: copy a 1st passage onto the 2nd staff, then go over it and enter the lower pitches.

Use the filter to copy & paste artics, expressions, and smart shapes. Just highlight them and drag to another staff.

Work in scroll view and don't bother with layout or part extraction until ALL the music is entered accurately.

When in doubt, read the manual and search the archives of this forum.