how do i raise the volume?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

humanwar

Post by humanwar » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:41 am

I am just trying to start learning, but the volume is ridiculously low!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 pm

First thing to check : open the mixer window, raise the master volume level and the level of the individual tracks/staves.
Then, if you use Garritan sounds, some users seem have obtained some results after reducing the Ambience reverb and increasing the direct sound.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 pm

(double post, deleted)
Last edited by michelp on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

humanwar

Post by humanwar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:34 am

Honestly, how hard can it be?

I've spent hours learning this stupid program and they have made it almost impossible to do anything. It shouldn't be brain surgery.

I used a program in 1985 called deluxe music, and it was PERFECT. I am ashamed of the people who created this program. Ashamed to see that they have made an extremely complicated and practically useless program.

Erik Van Geit

Post by Erik Van Geit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

humanwar,

You are right from a certain point of view: I had the same feelings and from time to time still have them, even after about 12 years using Finale.

It's a complex programe because it can do so much, but also because they didn't think enough how to make it user friendly sometimes: we'll need to learn to live with that, I'm afraid. From what I experienced, it became more user friendly over the years, but mostly the new features need to be restyled, like in all IT stuff.

So keep up your head, rest a bit and when you feel the energy, come back and try again :-)

kind regards,
Erik

PS: in 2002 I developed a programe and did the phone helpdesk myself during 3 years: most of the comments were "it's to complicated": so this is a learning process

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:44 am

I questioned Make Music support and this fix works for me, although we shouldn't need a fix and the support person agreed.

Me
"Ever since the introduction of the ability for Finale to use VST instruments, it is widely known on the forum that VST instruments playback signifigantly quieter than their MIDI counterpart. Tapspace Virtual Drumline has tried to deal with this issue by creating an entire 2nd set of VST sounds which are louder than their standard sounds, and titled them Finale Specific Instruments. Is there some method of increasing the VST instrument volumes, and if not, why not after all this time. This is a big issue to people on the forum. Just about every new Finale user, or new Finale + VST user, logs into the forum to question why their VST instruments are so quiet. Regular users have to respond back with various ideas about how to increase the volume, but they have virtually no effect?"

MakeMusic Support
"Hello,

The best way to increase the volume is to adjust the amount of Ambience effect on the document. Click the Edit button next to Garritan Ambience in the VST Instrument window and pull the Dry gain up. Reduce the Wet gain a little and set the CPU amount to about 10%. That should help with volume issues on these instruments.

I'll be sure to pass along your concerns regarding the recorded sample volume to the makers of Garritan Instruments and to our developers.

Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.

Christopher Y.
MakeMusic Customer Support"

Me
"The issue is not with the recorded volumes of the VST Samples. To the best of my knowledge, Sibelius (Evil! Ugh!) users do not have this issue. It is strictly a Finale issue. Turning off the Garritan Ambiance makes the volume louder, but making those modifications that you mention do help as well. It seems fairly short-sited to start with "Super-quiet" and then expect people to monkey with "Garritan Ambience" to bring it up to a somewhat reasonable volume, especially when it is turned off completely. It
seems to me that the volumes should be equal between MIDI and VST when the Ambiance in turned off."

MakeMusic
"Hi Warren,

Thanks for the response. I completely agree and I'll be sure to send these additional comments along to development.

Christopher Y.
MakeMusic Customer Support"

Now, whether anything gets done about it is another thing.
Warren Barnett

Finale 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.01
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3
Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2
Garritan World Instruments
Garritan Steinway Piano Basic Edition
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.52

treeforttrumpet
Finale Version: finale 2012 Mac

Post by treeforttrumpet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I have the same problem. I want to create tracks for General Music K-8. I am now on Finale 2012 and Mac OSX. I moved from Finale 2007 and Windows XP. To make finale louder. Garage band is extremely loud. I can't seem to export a wav or .mp3 file that has any volume at all. I will try this ambience thing. It is a poor design. Why haven't they thought this thing thru by version 2012?

TayLulz
Finale Version: 9 million
Operating System: Windows

Post by TayLulz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 am

*!!!THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO GET WAY MORE SOUND USING GARRITAN!!!*

1) Go to "Midi/Audio" --> "Audio Units Banks & Effects"
2) Under the "Master Effects" section at the bottom of this window, select "Apple:AUGraphicEQ"
3) Click the pencil icon to the right of the "Apple:AUGraphicEQ"
4) On the bottom right, click the "31 Bands" and select 10 bands
5) Select all the bands and push them to the top

Now you can actually hear the playback at an appropriate volume!

Elladara
Finale Version: 2011

Post by Elladara » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:45 am

Here is what worked for me Finale 2011 on Mac.

MIDI/Audio Menu --> Device Setup --> MIDI/Internal Speaker Setup

Playback To: SmartMusic SoftSynth

Click Bottom Left Button "SmartMusic SoftSynth Settings"

Slide Output Level all the way to the right.

Hope this helps!!

Elladara
Finale Version: 2011

Post by Elladara » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Found another way!

Under Playback Controls, click on the little arrow to open up all of the options.

Change Base Key Velocity to 100. This fixed my volume issues!

I'm so happy!!

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm

If Mac has Garritan Ambience in VST Banks & Effects, enable it as that will give you an extra 6dB. But you may run into the problem of having an absurd amount of reverb added that you might need to turn off after re-opening the document. Moreover, on my PC, SmartMusic SoftSynth is 10 times louder than the nice but attenuated Aria Player.