Another bug I'm fed up with...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bopeuph
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 7:15 pm

I guess today, when it comes to some of these bugs that I just got complacent with, I'm just saying "enough!"

Space systems evenly tool:

Sometimes, I manually drag the systems to the page I want to be on, so that I don't have to think about each individual page, then check "do not change the number of systems on each page."

For the last few versions I've had, this selection is a gamble as to whether or not it'll actually move the systems at all. Usually, it doesn't, so I have to count the systems and fit them for each individual page. Annoying.

Also, I would love Finale to do a feature that automatically puts an even amount of systems on each page. I know "put maximum number of systems" is kinda the workaround, but often you have only one or two systems on the last page, meaning I'll move some from other pages to make the document look more even.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 7:24 pm

What I do is go from the beginning of the document to the end, inserting manual pages breaks where need be. Then I do Space Systems Evenly one page at a time.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 7:39 pm

Interesting. The last part is basically my current process, too. Manual space individual pages. But I'd love it if I could drag them to the right page, open the tool and just hit "enter" (because "do not change..." is already selected) and move on. It would be quicker than having to type in the number of systems on a page if it's different than the last page.

Though, generally, I do try to keep the number as even as possible. But sometimes, it's unavoidable, especially with a certain client who can turn a piano part into a 3-5 staff system at big cadences!

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 7:53 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. If you use page breaks where necessary, then you can Space Systems evenly for all pages at once.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 7:58 pm

I actually never used page breaks, honestly. Maybe I should try it.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 8:29 pm

In Space Systems Evenly, you probably want to check "don't change the number of systems on each page."

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 9:03 pm

That's the setting that doesn't always work. I THINK it's if I'm doing this from the last page (though I've not yet tested it to figure out what's causing the bug), but sometimes it works, and sometimes, nothing happens. Then I just have to specify how many systems on that page instead, even if it already has the right number of systems and just needs to be evened out.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue May 21, 2024 4:22 am

bopeuph wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:03 pm
… I THINK it's if I'm doing this from the last page …
Try going “the other way”:
Begin with the Page 1, then Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, &c.

Explanation:
Finale updates the layout from the current page and onwards.
Pages before the current page are not affected by Update Layout.

Example:
If the current page is Page 4, then Page 4 and the following pages (= Page 5, Page 6, Page 7 …) will be updated.
The pages 1–3 will not be affected
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Tue May 21, 2024 2:32 pm

Oh yeah, I mean it happens when I'm on the last page. But I start at 1, throw the systems I want on that page, move to 2, etc., then when I get to the last page I hit the tool, and the idea is that it will just leave all the systems where I want them, space them all at once, and I have to run it only once (which helps if the number of systems on each page varies wildly). Just from memory, it's when I do this on the last page that this happens. It really only gets really annoying when I have to go through this with orchestral parts..which I don't do much of, so I forget to look into this issue.

motet

Post by motet » Tue May 21, 2024 4:29 pm

I don't know why, if you're checking "Do not change the number of systems on each page," it's changing the number of systems on each page. I just tried it with one of my pieces and that didn't happen, even though there were pages where more systems would fit had Finale been so inclined.

I'm also skeptical that "updating the layout" has anything to do with it. Perhaps Peter is referring to "reflow systems across pages," where it does definitely make sense to go through from front to back.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Tue May 21, 2024 5:27 pm

Oh, no, it's not changing the number of systems. It's doing nothing. As in, I run the tool, hit enter, and literally nothing happens. I should sit and try to figure out why it happens, but of course, my first guess would be that I have the wrong page number selected, but I usually have the right page. (It could be that "all pages" works and "current page" doesn't, but I really need to sit down and try to figure out what trips the bug.

motet

Post by motet » Tue May 21, 2024 5:28 pm

I use current page all the time.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Wed May 22, 2024 4:09 pm

It's weird that it happens. The next time I catch it, I'll upload that file.