Some basic problems

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BillSekowsky

Post by BillSekowsky » Wed May 07, 2008 12:01 pm

I have a few problems with my program, I have Finale 2007.

Well, the first one is crescendo/decrescendo. I go to the "Smart Shape Tool" and from there I have the option of adding cresc./dec. I select one, crescendo for example and double click the measure I want it in. I drag it across the measure and I would think thats all I need to do, but when I play it I hear no volume changes. What am I doing wrong?

The second one is adding instruments. Is there a way to add more instruments to your song AFTER you've created a document? It's happened to me a few times when I'm making a song that I think: "Hmm, "insturment x" would fit here perfectly." but I can't add it without making a new document.

Thanks in advance.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed May 07, 2008 3:28 pm

BillSekowsky wrote:Is there a way to add more instruments to your song AFTER you've created a document?
Sure. Staff tool, staff menu->new staves (with or without set-up wizzard).
It will be added at the bottom of the score. However, if you select one staff beforehand, the new one will be placed just above that one.
You may want to respace staves when you are done.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

BillSekowsky

Post by BillSekowsky » Wed May 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks for that! It was becoming quite the bother always having to make a new document when I realized I wanted to add adn instrument. :P