Slashes...or not!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jimbad
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Jimbad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Hello, All,
I am using Finale 2008a on a PC with Vista Premium.

I've searched the Forum for my situation but have not found mention of it. I know someone here can help me. This place is the greatest!

Here's the problem, which seems to have popped up recently: I place chord symbols above quarter-rests that I have entered for, let's say, four bars. Next I convert the rests to slashes using the Staff Tool; everything is fine so far. Now I will move on to the next four bars in the same instrument part and repeat the process, but now the slashes that I had entered in the prior four bars have REVERTED to QUARTER-RESTS! Also, the slashes-back-to-rests may occur in a DIFFERENT instrument that already had slashes in it.

A like problem arises when I drag the chord symbols-with-slashes from one part to another. The original part's slashes become rests.

Needless to say, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:37 am

Jimbad wrote:Also, the slashes-back-to-rests may occur in a DIFFERENT instrument that already had slashes in it.
Are you sure you haven't created mirror measures ? Changing one modifies the mirror as well.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Jimbad
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Jimbad » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:12 am

Hi, Michel,
Thanks for the response.

I have no idea what mirror measures are, so if I have created them it was totally by accident.

This problem is extremely frustrating.

Jim

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:29 am

Mirror measures are created with the mirror tool (which I never use). But I once had the experience that in a document I was working on, mirror measures were created. The best way to get rid of them is to clear the measures completely and enter the music again...
By the way, if you could send me a file with an extract of your score where the problem occurs, I could try to investigate further...
As this forum does not seem to accept attachments, contact me by email.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Robbert

Post by Robbert » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to let you know i have the same problem...very very frustrating and time consuming :(
I hope someone knows what to do about it!
Please let us know,
Thanks in advance!
Greetings Robbert.
system specs:
finale 2008a
Notebook HP Pavilion dv9700 Intel Duo CPU@2GHz
3070 MB RAM Windows Vista premium
LG Flatron Wide 24" (+Laptop 17"Wide)
(e)Keys evolution USB midikeyboard

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Jimbad and Robert,

I use staff styles a lot.
Couldn't live without them.

Could you provide exact steps to reproduce the "disappearing staff styles" problem?
I haven't experienced the problem, and I haven't been able to reproduce it.

I suspect it's a bug that only occurs, when you do some very specific steps.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996