Exploding 3-note chords

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Have a score with 3-note chords in a single layer (Finale 2009).

What I would like is to take 2 of those notes (probably the bottom ones) and move theme to the staff below. I understand that I could extract the chord to three new staves and then manually distribute them back to the desired staves, but since this is something I find myself doing A LOT, I'm hoping to find a way to do it more directly.

There seem to be more tricks possible with the explode technique than I can figure out and I hope someone who knows more about the explode process can either give me a specific answer or direct me to a link that would help.

Thanks
JS

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:27 pm

If I understood you well, here is the procedure.
Use the "explode music" menu. Select "2" staves, one note per staff, put extra notes in bottom staff and ..."in existing staves starting with" your first one.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks, that worked. As is often the case, the settings are not exactly intuitive are required some experimentation.

You're answer will save me lots of time.
JS