Where are these notes coming from? Invisible orchestra?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:05 am

Just tried the Band-In-A-Box harmonization plug it. At first it appeard to do the expected (according to the manual): added notes on selected staves as harmony. Not too bad a job at that.

Tried the "super brass" to see what would result. Got a decent set of harmony notes and all, but the notes were not placed on staves of the score (although I indicated the staves to use).

Although I see only one part on the Trumpet I staff, I hear the four-note harmony also. If I mute the staff, there is no harmony. If I solo the staff, all harmony parts are there. If I remove the chord symbols from above the notes, the harmony goes away.

The documentation is silent on this. Does someone know how this works?

It appears that if you use some of these styles and the chord symbols remain in the score, you get extra notes that are not actually in the score.

This tool looks like it could be of use, but not if you don't have control over what plays.

Thanks again,
JS

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 am

One question:

Switch to the Chord Tool.
Take a look in the Chord menu.

Is the menu item "Enable Chord Playback" selected or deselected?

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:05 am

My guess would be that the voicings you hear are produced by the chord symbols.
If you want to mute the chord symbols playback, here are 2 ways :
- global : Chord tool, Chord menu : uncheck "enable chord playback"
- per staff : Instrument list window.
Using the triangle located on the left of a staff, you can see all layers and chord symbols. Simply mute the chord symbols.

PS : many of us just mute the chord symbols, as they don't sound good (range, bad voice leading) and bring confusion in the playback of the rest of the score.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:34 pm

:D Thanks, so very much. Your answers not only made it clear to me, it let me to the place in the documentation that gives the details.

Finale has made real advances in the documentation, but I still find it hard to get to the help that I really need.

Thanks again.
JS

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Now that I've gotten this far, is there a way for the Band/Box data to display the notation for what it's doing? That is, can it perhaps add staves and notate its harmonization (not just the actual harmonization plug-in).

Thanks,
JS
JS

jsantana

Post by jsantana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Clarification on my last question. I think what I really mean is I'm wondering if there is a way to notate what Finale plays back for the chord symbols. I had presumed that this is a function of Band/Box, but it may not be.
JS

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:59 pm

Indeed, the Chord Symbol playback isn't a function of "Band in a Box", but rather a function of Finale.

Generally you get lousy voicing in Finale's Chord Symbol playback.
Finale doesn't at all consider voicing in Chord Symbol playback.

In stead of using Finale's Chord Playback it's a much better idea to
- disable Chord Playback (in the Chord menu).
- add your own playback notes, with good voicing, in a hidden layer.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996