Having score expressions show up on parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

robertcomposer

Post by robertcomposer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 pm

I have a score with numerous markings (directions, rehearsal letters etc.)
Some of these show up on my parts when extracted, and some do not.

What is the most effective (and quickest) way to go to my score and "tag" certain items so that they will show up on the parts when extracted?

Thanks!
Active composer of many styles, always looking for serious collaborators. info@rainesmusic.com

bka

Post by bka » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 pm

if you have two mouse buttons, right click on the expression, if you have one, secondary click (usually ctrl+click) on it.

in the menu that pops up, select "edit measure expression assignment"

this brings up the menu that you had to click through when you first placed the expression, in the middle there is an option "show on" where you can select parts, score or staff list. staff list lets you pick with more detail where exactly it will appear.

maybe try looking at one that appears the way you want, and then make the others use the same staff list.

i don't know of a very fast way to do it, in the future you should set the "show on" option as you enter.

oh, if you used the text tool for any of those markings, that's different and you will have to adjust it in the "edit frame attributes" menu (also accessed by secondary clicking)

robertcomposer

Post by robertcomposer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 am

bka wrote:in the middle there is an option "show on" where you can select parts, score or staff list. staff list lets you pick with more detail where exactly it will appear.
m
Actually when I go to "show on" the options are 1) Score and Parts 2) Score Only 3) PArts Only
There is no option that I see for selecting a staff list.

Am I missing something?

I am using Finale 2009b.r3 for Mac
Active composer of many styles, always looking for serious collaborators. info@rainesmusic.com

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 am

Some categories apply to the score and all parts (tempo marks, rehearsal marks...), the other ones can be applied to singles staves, all staves or staff lists. In the bottom right corner of those categories, you have "Assign". Using that pull-down menu, you can select "assign to current staff", "assign to all staves" or "assign to staves..." If you select that last option, you can define your staff lists (use the "new" button).
When you want an expression to apply to a staff list, you go to that Assign menu, and you will see the staff lists you have created.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua