2010 corrupt file.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

muzo
Finale Version: finale 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by muzo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi All,

I could really use some help on this one. Having spent quite a number of hours on a new project in 2010, I was more than unhappy to see the message:-
' While attempting to access (the file).mus. the file manager reported an error. The file appears to be corrupt: attempting to continue, but resulting document may be unstable.

Having been a user since 2004 I have never encountered such a message or problem. Does anyone out there know of a way/a programme / etc of repairing the file? I'm not so sure it isn't a glitch in 2010 as I am still having problems when saving files ..'the file manager reports an error etc'. It usually saves on the third attempt. I notice an earlier posting reporting the same thing. I am using a Mac G5 (pre-intel)

Any suggestions would be welcome-Many thanks.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Do you have an Auto-save file anywhere? Do you have auto-save enabled?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

muzo

Post by muzo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Funnily enough, in looking for an answer to the problem I came across the auto save options box just thirty minutes ago and altered it to auto save every 5 minutes. I think it was defaulted to 15 minutes and for sure the boxes- 'make backups' and 'save preferences when quitting etc' were ticked.
Is there somewhere else I should be looking for back up files? For sure there is not one in the normal files and using 'find; in the file menu shows nothing.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 pm

In PrintMusic there is no option; the auto save files go in the same folder as the doc. But Finale might be different in this respect. Have you tried searching for the file suffix .asv?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:43 am

To avoid loosing files on which I'm currently working, besides regular backups on an external hard disk, here is what I do to calm down my paranoia :
I use Dropbox (PC & Mac). A free software with automatic storage on the web (free : 2 Gb). The principle is simple : the application creates a Dropbox folder on your Mac or PC. Any file or folder that you place in it gets uploaded onto the web site of Dropbox.
So, I just place the Finale file on which I'm currently working into the Dropbox folder, and every time it gets saved, it is sent to the website of Dropbox in a matter of seconds. And if you go there, you can access not only the latest saved version, but ALL the previous versions of the file.
Really nice, and there are many other functionalities. See here : http://www.getdropbox.com. (Needless to say that I have no link with Dropbox).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

muzo

Post by muzo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks for the reply - I've tried .asv files but no success. Strangely, I've just noticed that music files document I'm having trouble with does not have any
file extension at all although it has the normal Finale icon before it. Dragging to the desktop makes the file name plus .mus appear.

muzo

Post by muzo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

Dropbox sounds a great idea-many thanks. For the present I shall be reverting to my 2008 version for any new project and on completion transferring to 2010 to use the new features. At least I'll know I have a safe
backup file.