How to prevent a rit. before a repeat

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ariel777
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Ariel777 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi,

I don't know if it's Human Playback or just Finale, but something is inserting a rit. before a repeat during playback. The notes were entered by hand (not with hyperscribe).

Is there any way to stop Finale slowing down as it approaches a repeat?

Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:30 pm

Ariel777 wrote:… I don't know if it's Human Playback or just Finale …
There is a simple way to find out:
What happens if you toggle Human Playback off ?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Ariel777

Post by Ariel777 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:46 pm

That's a good question!

It is Human Playback. There are no tempo changes when HP is off.

Meanwhile, looking into this further, I found that if I choose "Custom..." for the HP style, and uncheck "Interpret final bars", this fixes the unwanted ritard. as well.

However, unfortunately, this also eliminates any HP from the last and final bar of the piece, and there HP adds a very nice effect, without which the music comes to an abrupt halt.

So I don't want to disable it for the final bar, just for the interim repeat.

Any way of doing that? (Switching off HP for the repeat bar also doesn't work, because it creates a very stark contrast in the sound.)

Sooo, I guess I'm asking if there's any way of disabling just one part of HP temporarily?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:53 pm

Even with Human Playback off you can get Human Playback in any measure(s), by adding the Human Playback interpretation to the document’s MIDI data.

Normally the Human Playback interpretation is created “on the fly”, but you can write the Human Playback to the document’s MIDI data.
This means that you can get the Human Playback interpretation - even with Human Playback off.

To do so:
Switch to the MIDI Tool.
Select the desired region.
MIDI Tool menu > Apply Human Playback…

Ariel777

Post by Ariel777 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:02 am

Do you mean "Plug-ins > Playback > Apply Human Playback"? (Because I don't see that option under the Midi Tools menu...)

Ariel777

Post by Ariel777 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:15 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:Normally the Human Playback interpretation is created “on the fly”, but you can write the Human Playback to the document’s MIDI data.
Thank you for this tip. But (if I've done everything correctly, i.e., selected all the music, opened the Apply Human Playback dialog, and applied the "Baroque" setting which I'm using) I'm finding that the playback is very different this way compared to the "on the fly" human playback.

Perhaps there is a way to change the HP setting for one bar only without using the "Apply HP" setting? For instance, for all the piece, to use Baroque, but for one bar only, to use Custom (and set the custom to not interpret final bars)?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:43 am

Ariel777 wrote:Do you mean "Plug-ins > Playback > Apply Human Playback"? (Because I don't see that option under the Midi Tools menu...)
Oops, sorry!

You have 2014, and I have 2014.5 - By The Way:
2014.5 is a free update which comes as a complete program installation - the 2014 version will not be affected, and you can have both 2014 and 2014.5 installed simultaneously on the same computer.

One of the interface changes from 2014 to 2014.5 is that the Apply Human Playback plug-in has been replaced with the Apply Human Playback option in the MIDI tool menu.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:59 am

Ariel777 wrote:… But (if I've done everything correctly, i.e., selected all the music, opened the Apply Human Playback dialog, and applied the "Baroque" setting which I'm using) I'm finding that the playback is very different this way compared to the "on the fly" human playback.

Perhaps there is a way to change the HP setting for one bar only without using the "Apply HP" setting? For instance, for all the piece, to use Baroque, but for one bar only, to use Custom (and set the custom to not interpret final bars)?
Instead of selecting all the music, select only a region, and apply Human Playback to the selected region.

In that way you can have different playback in different regions of the same document.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 am

Have you got a final bar at the start of the repeat?