Need Help With Multiple Movement Score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TRMarcus
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by TRMarcus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 am

I'm working on a three-movement suite for concert band in Finale 25 (Windows). The second movement starts with a pickup. The third movement has a slightly different instrumentation from the first two: In the first two movements, the two oboe parts share a staff. In the third movement, the second oboe switches to English horn on a separate staff.

I have just completed the first movement. After searching various sites and forums, I am now thoroughly confused about how to proceed. I can find nothing relevant in Make Music's on-line help for Finale 25. There is a section on "multiple movements" in documentation for older versions, but it's not particularly helpful.

The Finale file currently contains the complete first movement. Should I now add measures for the second movement to the same file after the final measure of the first movement? I do have the "JW New Piece" plug-in, if that would help.

It almost seems simpler to create new files for the second and third movements, using the first movement as a template, and then combine them with Score Merger. But several forum users mention that the tool doesn't handle pickups properly.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. A link to a document or post that adequately explains it would be fine.

Thanks,

Ted

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 am

I would create the files separately. Use full duration for the first measures; just fill them with rests. After you have merged the scores, change the pickup measures.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:21 pm

When I do this I always create separate files for each movement. One big reason for me is the smaller file size of independent files.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:32 pm

You don't necessarily need to merge when all is said and done, if you're willing to have each movement start on a separate page.

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am

You already have Jari's New Piece plugin, which is good. You might run it on a test file to see how it works and how to handle the pickup. I use it for an opera at the moment and it's great.

As for the changing number of staves, I would suggest to enter all different staves which occur into the document and then hide the empty ones. Make a group of the two oboe staves and extract the whole group as a part and hide the second system wherever it is emtpy.

Harald
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

TRMarcus

Post by TRMarcus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 am

motet wrote:You don't necessarily need to merge when all is said and done, if you're willing to have each movement start on a separate page.
I'm willing to have each movement start on a separate page in the score, but not the parts. Some of the parts probably won't need a full page for each movement, which means merging will reduce the number of pages I need to print and tape together.

TRMarcus

Post by TRMarcus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:24 am

miker wrote:I would create the files separately. Use full duration for the first measures; just fill them with rests. After you have merged the scores, change the pickup measures.
This is what I'm doing, as it seems to be the consensus.