buying Perfect Layout

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by mmike » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:40 pm

Some time ago I submitted a file to PL for optimization, but it turned out that (for me) it wasn't all that useful. A few days ago I thought I might try it again for a project that required editing many files. Since no real, actual trial version (as in practically any other software I use) is available, I decided to buy it and return it if it wasn't useful. Which it wasn't, mostly because during my workflow I had already done a lot of optimizing, and PL isn't really meant for that. Don't get me wrong, I think PL is a great plug-in (which should be a part of Finale, and it is incomprehensible that they refuse to include it), it just isn't for me (at this point).

However, the actual point of this post is really to alert potential (and perhaps undecided) buyers of a little hiccup that could be avoided. I thought, as with all purchases in the EU, I could uninstall the software and receive a refund. No so. In the buying process there is apparently a statement you have to check giving up that right (I didn't see it, or didn't pay enough attention to the content, it having been in a language other than my native one). I still think that it is actually not legal to do this, and that one should be able to receive a refund within 14 days, no matter what, but I'm no lawyer and I will probably stand (or lie down) corrected. And even, if not, I think I should have been refunded, simply out of courtesy, having made an honest mistake, fully intending to uninstall and not use the software. A little trust in people wouldn't have been entirely inappropriate, I certainly don't need to steal anybody's software ...
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks for posting that. I was considering purchasing, but this is a huge deal breaker. PL should really reconsider their refund policy at the very least. A 14 or 30 day trial would be nice, as other software companies allow.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 pm

A demo version would be great.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 pm

I see at the website that they do allow prospective buyers to send in a file for trial processing with Perfect Layout. And they are promising an actual trial period in the future.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5 and 27, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 am

Ridiculous. Why should we send in a file? I'd like to actually USE it.