Transposing Instruments Key Change

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Leonidas1994
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Leonidas1994 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. Although I am a Finale user since 1997, there are still some things I have no clue how to be done! So, if anyone knows how to do the following, please let me know.

There is a piece I composed recently that begins in C. After a while the hey changes to D and at the end to E. That's perfect... But then I desided to make a copy of the melody for an Alto Saxophone (Eb instrument). So I went to Windows>Score Manager and clicked on tab Instrument List. Then I clicked on the down menu of Transposition and choose '(Eb) Up M6, Add 3 Sharps'.

The first to keys went great. The original C changed to A, the D to B. But the final original E, which supposed to change to C#, changed to Db instead. The musician prefered to play with sharps, so I tried to change it, but always I get the same results...

I don't know if there is already a post for that situation. If there is please address me to it.

Thank you in advance and excuse my poor use of english language (which is not my native one)

Leonidas

Leonidas1994
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by Leonidas1994 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:14 am

I just found how to do it.

For anyone who has the same issue, go to Windows>Score Manager>Instrument List>Transposition. There I scrolled down to 'Other', I chose '(Eb) Up M6, Add 3 Sharps' and I unchecked the 'Simplify Key'.

Done!

God bless you

Leonidas

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:39 pm

On my system, the key signatures changes when transposing in Score Manager and the pitch in playback remains unchanged (as expected), but the notation is always lowered by the chosen interval plus an unwanted octave, such as when transposing from G major to A major.

Did the notes in the staff move up or down for you, and did the pitch change in playback?