transposing instrument that does not exist

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

guitariste

Post by guitariste » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Here is my problem,

I'm doing a transcription for a guitar orchestra but those instruments are not so commun. I have a particuliar problem with the Alto guitar: sounds one 5th higher so the concert display pitch for a pitch in E concert, would be A major.

I can easily make the transposition witht he mass mover tool and have an ok "displayed score". However, I cannot find a way to change the pitch to the concert pitch without changing back the displayed notes. It botters me a bit when I listen and as you can guess it's much easier to work in displayed pitch to figure out the fingerings

So eather I need a transposing instrument in "G". Wich I can't find. Or I need a way to modify the sounding pitch without affecting the score. The "Encore" software which is 10 years old has this option...

Can you help me out on this :?: :?:

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Staff transpositions are handled with the Staff Tool.

You can set up a staff to, display the Written Pitch (A major), and at the same time play back the Concert Pitch (E major) when you click the Play button.

I suggest that you

- read the manual about transposing instruments

- investigate the Staff Tool.

You can also use the Document Setup Wizard to set up a document with a transposing instrument (e. g. French Horn in F), and study the resulting staff properties.

I hope that this is clear.
If not, ask again.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

peteintahiti

Post by peteintahiti » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:34 pm

Don't know your Finale version, but on mine when you Edit Staff Attributes using the Staff tool, and then Select your tranposition, there is a (G) choice. There is also an "Other" choice, which I think will let you design your own.

Also, I hope you've already found the Display At Concert Pitch option under the Document menu that allows you show concert pitch on screen even for transposed staves.

Hope this helps.
Finale 2008/Finale 2007c

guitariste

Post by guitariste » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:55 pm

I,ll explore those avenue and get back to you

thanks

guitariste

Post by guitariste » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 pm

You guys always have the answer... don't know how you do.
I used the transposition tool in the staff tool and made a custom transposition with "simplify key"

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:03 pm

I assume you use Finale, full version ?
Finale can attach any instrument to any staff, even instruments that are not conventional and for which a special transposition has to be defined.
Don't use the "transpose" menu item, as it does not change the key signature.
You have to define that transposition so that it so it displays correctly when the score is displayed transposed (with a specific key signature), whenever "display in concert pitch" is not selected in the menu.
Staff tool, double click on staff to access the "staff attributes" window. Transposition, if I got it right for your alto guitar : chose key signature->other : enter interval -4 and key alter -1.
Now if you work in you score in concert pitch, everything will sound at the correct pitch.
Switch to the transposed score to define your fingerings at the best location.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua