No Backups

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Mon May 17, 2021 9:33 am

Thank you for your reply. But my problem was precisely that no copy was created in Documents/Finale Files/Backups.

Much water has passed under the bridge since then, and I have not checked this misbehaviour lately.
Michael Graubart.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:29 pm

... but is it possible that if the PDF was made directly from Finale that a scan of it might be worth trying ...
This may be too late to help this time but in the future if you want to try to scan some music and have good pdf copy and have software like SmartScroe Pro, try scanning just a single page at a time. It can work better if you have a particularly complicated score.
I, also, have found that if you convert the pdf to a tiff before hand it works better. On some scores, it even helps to enhance the tiff in Photoshop, too.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon May 17, 2021 4:35 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:29 pm
... but is it possible that if the PDF was made directly from Finale that a scan of it might be worth trying ...
This may be too late to help this time but in the future if you want to try to scan some music and have good pdf copy and have software like SmartScroe Pro, try scanning just a single page at a time. It can work better if you have a particularly complicated score.
I, also, have found that if you convert the pdf to a tiff before hand it works better. On some scores, it even helps to enhance the tiff in Photoshop, too.
Interesting. With the update to SmartScore 64, I get the best results by opening the PDF in SS64 and letting the program do the conversion to TIFF.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm

This is very useful advice. Thank you. As far as my particular problem is concerned, I realized that the excessive file size was created by some kind of duplication of pages. So I separated the pdf into separate pages, processed only the 2 or 3 pages on which I had made edits, then reassembled the score. It now was only slightly bigger than originally, and so I was able to send it attached to an email without further difficulties.
Michael Graubart.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 pm

Great! All is well that ends well. :D
I believe I would do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Finale and set up each folder manually. ALso make sure the folder exists because Finale will not create a folder if it is not there.

BTW, I am not a Mac user but WIndows leaves trash behind when you uninstall software so if a Mac does the same I would make sure I got all those files, if any, deleted too.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 pm

I use AppCleaner to get rid of unwanted apps, and sometimes EasyFind to dig out hidden or invisible remnants.
Michael Graubart.