JANKO/ Uniform musical Kbd notation correction

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jjj

Post by jjj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:26 am

Greetings to you wonderful musicians and graphic experts,
(Pure graphic designers are unable to understand musical problem. Thus, I hope here I'm on the right address.)
I built a wooden 3-row Janko/ Uniform Kbd on top of my old Roland D20 Synth and would like to use the Klavarskribo notation ( http://www.klavarmusic.org/ ).
The problem is, <u>Klavarskribo suits the traditional Kbd layout, but not the Janko/ Uniform Kbd layout</u>.
On the bottom is the notation how it should look to suit the Janko/ Uniform Kbd layout.
http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum ... 7188201621
http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum ... =1&d=13221
Klavarskribo fits the traditional piano keyboard, but needs to be slightly corrected to fit my Janko/ Uniform Kbd layout ( http://squeezehead.com/uniform-keyboard/ ). All I need is: to find a graphic program, which enables me to create such a (transparent) correction template, which I pop over the Klavarskribo notation picture to correct the lines to fit the Janko Kbd layout, as seen in the details.
Warm Greetings from Johannes K. Drinda in St'go de Chile. Besides, I'm a young whistler-musician and pensioner (70), too. Audition me here on You Tube: <b>KPEW8KdBxds</b> or this one: <b>Nlcw5OKUi1g </b> Chances are you like what you hear.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:28 am

I believe you can create a such notation in any graphics program that is a vector based drawing program (rather than a bitmap based painting program).

Adobe Illustrator is the best known vector based drawing program, but it is also quite expensive.

Since the Janko Notation is quite simple, I believe it should be possible to create Janko Notation with a drawing program much less expensive than Illustrator.

A web search for vector based drawing programs should bring you lots of options.

You should be aware that your operating system is crucial.
Programs for Windows will only run in Windows.
Programs for Mac OS X will only run in Mac OS X.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jjj

Post by jjj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:57 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Adobe Illustrator is the best known vector based drawing program... I believe it should be possible to create Janko Notation with a drawing program much less expensive than Illustrator. A web search for vector based drawing programs should bring you lots of options.
Thank you Peter Thomsen for the good advice! Just realizing... that I shouldn't have bombarded you busy, good people with 1000 boring details and should just concisely point out what I need, instead. Such as this:

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Take a look at Inkscape. Best possible price: it's free!

http://inkscape.org/
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jjj

Post by jjj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:40 pm

miker wrote:Take a look at Inkscape. Best possible price: it's free! http://inkscape.org/
Thank you kind miker for the good advice and link.
Incidentally, how did you know that l'll very much like this type of pricing? :)
I too thought, there must be a simple software, good enough for this simple task.
Great part of my problem was to know which small, freeware program will do the job.
Also, a smaller than Adobe Illustrator, will be far easier on my brains...
Well, I'll d/l, try it out and hope it will get me the desired result. Thx again, very nice of you. :wink:

jjj

Post by jjj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Progress/ Regress Report:
I d/l inkscape_r10748-201111231041-dbg (...to my Win-XP OS)
It offered 3 files: gdb //incsape // inkview
I tried to get it working by clicking onto gdb. It merely showed a black screen with some data
and I wasn't able to make it work. So, my search continues...
Any other, more user "age-pensioner friendly version" you might know of?
Thx in advance! Joh

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:59 pm

It sounds like you didn't download the correct file. Try this link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/files/

And click on the link Download Inkscape-0.48.2-1-win32.exe (35.7 MB)

That should download the installer to your computer. Double-click the installer icon on your computer to install the program.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jjj

Post by jjj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Yes, this is the right one. Yet, for some reason the install stays put to 95% ...for already about 30 Min.
I'm getting old.. at this installation rate. :) I now click the install exe again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jjj

Post by jjj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Finally, after 4 times reinstalling... it finished install and "Next" button activated.
Now I registered in their forum and introduced my project to them. It might be much easier for them
to help me, since they are actively using this program.
Thus, all remains to say "Thank You" again! Good Karma is always good to have.
I help young people in Santiago by holding free philosophical seminars. :)

musicrobert

Post by musicrobert » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I think you need the Notenschrift of Johannes Beyreuther.

http://www.beyreuther-musikprinzip.de

jjj

Post by jjj » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Thank musicobert,

I haven't seen that particular layout, albeit there exist a similar one.
The thing I object to are its narrow keys. Since they require "5mm of dexterity precision", to master this layout still requires lots of practice. That's why I believe the Uniform/ Janko layout, which offers equal-sized keys, to be the easiest to learn and play.
In the meantime I good "brynn" from Inkscape forum successfully created a template for the Uniform/ Janko layout to correct the freeware KlavarScript notation program, which converts MIDI files to Klavaskribo notation.

jjj

Post by jjj » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm still at it... at trying to convert my Tyros 3 zebra piano Kbd into Janko Kbd layout.
In the meantime I tried to get plastic printers to fabricate the Kbd keys, but they are as well very expensive. A replacement set of keys costs about $500.
So, I had to dream up another solution ...and found one:
I just use 0.3mm thin tin covers, which clip onto the keys to protect them. That offers me a firm surface onto which I then epoxy glue the square Janko keys and is easily reversible, in case I need to sell the Tyros later on.
The advantage of this Janko musical Kbd is that it offers the learner to play the Kbd 10x faster and easier; i.e. 1 year of Janko practice equals 10 years of zebra piano Kbd practice!! This advantage is too good to be missed.
Most accomplished zebra piano Kbd players hate the Janko Kbd, because to them it's unfair to have it that easy ...if it can be made more complicated.
The same with traditional notation. That's why I invented my own WYSIWYG Janko notation. It allows to visually transfer the notes from the sheet music to the keys and to forget about irregular scales practice and music theory.
I also converted an old 120-button Farfisa accordion bass (bass section only) to MIDI. It was a hell of work combining, wiring/ soldering up all basses and chords via some 200+ signal diodes. This will enable me to enjoy musical creativity just like a singer or whistler, without bothering about irregular scales and chords with #+b and other Garbo irregularities.
Now all I would need is to find a PC programmer, who could accelerate the music conversion from traditional notation to my Janko notation, because now zebra piano players tell me that all music notation is written in traditional notation.
Besides, I converted an old 120-button accordion bass (bass section only) to MIDI, fabricated a special cover for it, decorated it with cloth of my old shirt and sold it in two day for almost $400 on eBay. It was easy to do: I just added 24 switches onto it air flaps, but I didn't like it, for its 120 buttons had to operate the mechanics and that made the buttons hard to press, whereas my Farfisa accordion bass only activates one soft contact per button!!