Should be simple...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Zeteo
Finale Version: PC 2011

Post by Zeteo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Ok, I have a question that I know is asinine but I can't figure it out. I'm using Finale 2011 (I've had it since 2004, this is my most recent upgrade) and for whatever reason, I cannot make chords. As in: place, for example, on beat one of a measure, a quarter note on C and another quarter note on E, right on top of it. I used to be able to...I must have accidentally changed some setting or something but I can't figure it out. I use speedy entry with no MIDI keyboard attached. If I scroll back and try to do it it moves one note over to the next beat. I am trying to write a piece right now using drumset, so this is absolutely essential. Please someone help!

Thanks,
Z

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

I don't use Speedy, so I may not be able help you. But, from the Knowledge Base:

To add a note to a chord, position the crossbar at the desired pitch, and press enter. You can also double-click where you want the new note to appear.

Have you looked at the Help files? If this is your first upgrade since 2004, a LOT has changed, and that may be one of the things.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Zeteo
Finale Version: PC 2011

Post by Zeteo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Yes, I have tried looking in help, I don't really know what to type in search though. I've read everything in there about speedy entry, and typing in 'chords' just brings me to info. about adding chord symbols which is not the issue. I seem to remember not having this problem even on Finale 2011, but then suddenly it started happening, I just don't know what I would've done to cause the change. It seems like maybe there is just a setting, sort of like the 'overwrite' setting on Word. I don't know though and it's driving me crazy.
Thanks,
Z

tkearney
Finale Version: Finale 2011
Operating System: Mac

Post by tkearney » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 am

Hello,
I'm not sure if you have gotten an answer to this (since this post is old) as I was just having an issue with this same thing. Anyways . . . the solution is thus:

Click on your speedy tool. Then on the navigation bar at the top, you will click the dropdown menu for "speedy". You want to make sure the "Insert Notes or Rests" is NOT checked. This should solve the problem.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 11.28.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 11.28.03 PM.png (70.74 KiB) Viewed 1939 times