Default paper size

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SOlo
Finale Version: Finale 2010 MAC

Post by SOlo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 am

Is it possible to set the default paper size to A4? As it is now I have to remember to change paper size for every new document. Annoying when you forget!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 am

In Finale there are 4 ways to create a new document, so we need more info:

1) How are you creating a new document?

- Document Without Libraries?

- Document From Template?

- Default Document?

- Document With Setup Wizard?

2) If you are creating a new document with the Setup Wizard, which Document Style are you choosing?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SOlo
Finale Version: Finale 2010 MAC

Post by SOlo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:In Finale there are 4 ways to create a new document, so we need more info:

1) How are you creating a new document?

- Document Without Libraries?

- Document From Template?

- Default Document?

- Document With Setup Wizard?

2) If you are creating a new document with the Setup Wizard, which Document Style are you choosing?
Thanks for the answer. Mostly I use the "Default document" or "Setup Wizard", engraver font. I select A4 as the document size of course. The thing is that I may write a whole arrangement, and when I try to print it I still get the "Your document doesn´t match the paper size of you printer"-sign. :x I then have to go to the layout-tool and manually change the the document size from default "letter" to A4. This sometimes affects the whole layout. I suppose the problem can be avoided by remembering to change the size before I start to work, but sometimes I forget to do that.
I never use the american "letter" size. Always A4. Is there a way to make Finale understand that?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 pm

What Finale version are you using? Finale 2012?

1) The so called "Default Document" is by default the document "Maestro Font Default" (located in the folder Default Files).
You can make a duplicate copy of "Maestro Font Default", and name the duplicate as you like (e. g. "My Own Default Document").
Then you can customize your duplicate document with the document settings you like, e. g. the page size (Page Layout Tool, Page Layout menu > Page Size…).
In the "Program Options - New" you can specify that Finale should use your own default document as Default Document (instead of "Maestro Font Default").

2) In the Document Setup Wizard, in the first dialog box, you can choose page size for score in a pop up menu, and page size for parts in another pop up menu.
By Default, the Wizard has selected the menu item "Letter" in the two pop up menus.
I don't think that you can change this default menu selection in the Wizard, sorry.

3) If you - instead of using the Document Setup Wizard - create a new document from a template, you will automatically get the page size saved with the template.
Generally, if you create many documents with the same staves, layout settings &c., you can save time if you create a template, and use that template instead of the Document Setup Wizard.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Simonstina
Finale Version: Finale 27.0

Post by Simonstina » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:21 pm

I have the same problem.
Once upon a time I could just overwrite a file in "Application Support", but it seams not work now.

The answer suggestions does not change anything for me.
I have Finale 25.4.1, Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

I have made my own "Templates" in "Setup Wizard" and set both Score- and part pages to A4 and then saved.
When I go to "Setup Wizard" next time for make a new song and I choose my own template - It suggest Letter size in both score and parts.

I have also change all templates in /Users/MyName/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic and saved them (after put an "x" first in the original files). That doesn't help.

This is frustrating. I never use anything else but A4, A3 and for marching-parts A5.

Is there a way to get rid of "Letter, Legal, Tabloid etc? My printer is using A4 or A5. I don't even have the possibility to by these "Letter" formats.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

The first pane in the Setup Wizard lets you choose a Document Style. On the Mac, these are located in your User Library's Finale folder. (I think Finale installs an alias to these folders in your Documents folder, but if not it's a good idea to make one yourself.)

The paper size is a function of each Document Style. So if you want to use A4, then either adjust the existing documents, or create your own Document with all your settings and options (and maybe move the rest to a subfolder).

https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/defaul ... templates/

Simonstina
Finale Version: Finale 27.0

Post by Simonstina » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Thank you. I will try this.