Lyrics Stopped Working

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Connor
Finale Version: 2011 Mac

Post by Connor » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 pm

I was using a voice staff along with a guitar (+ tab) and drum set section and was using the lyric tool to provide lyrics for all the voicings. For some odd reason they randomly stopped working after a while. A few red lines showed up for no reason, like the ones that appear when a lyric is to be held throughout more than one note, except it showed up on the guitar staves, and it wouldn't delete (they're gone now, can't remember how, sorry), and the lyric tool won't let me add new lyrics. It only allows me to delete or move old ones, having little boxes show up near each separate lyric that I can click to move them. I can change the lyrics too, but cannot add new ones, which is fairly important.

Help? =)

Connor

Post by Connor » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry, small mistake I made when typing this. I can NOT change the lyrics either right now. The only thing the lyric tool achieves is making the boxes show up and letting move around the lyrics or delete them. No modifying any actual words. =P

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:02 am

Welcome to the forum!

Without seeing an actual Finale .mus document we can only guess.

I suggest that you attach a short .mus sample document that shows the problem.
Before you can upload a .mus document to this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

If I should guess, my first thought would be that you are in the wrong layer.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Connor

Post by Connor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 am

I don't believe that it is a layer problem, it feels more like if I had caps lock on and couldn't turn it off, you know?
Like it doesn't change lyrics it only allows me to extend the red lines attached to them; I feel like it must be stuck on some sort of secondary function of the lyric tool, if that makes any sense.

P.S. I would add the .mus file but unfortunately the computer that this is actually on is not this computer, and has some internet problems right now. I can't seem to find my flash drive either... >.< I'm only using this computer as a means of hopefully doing some successful troubleshooting so I can solve it on my other computer. =P

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:55 am

Connor wrote:I don't believe that it is a layer problem, it feels more like if I had caps lock on and couldn't turn it off, you know?…
A computer reboot often fixes a stuck key.
Have you tried a reboot?

Connor

Post by Connor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 am

Yah. =/

Is there any other way to get rid of this nasty stickiness?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:17 am

A computer reboot will fix a key which is electronically stuck.

If the key is physically stuck, you may have to, physically beat the key a few times.

Do you experience the "stuck key" syndrome in other programs?

Connor

Post by Connor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm

No, it is only stuck on Finale (not a physical problem--I would hope at least I could fix that haha).

soprano08
Finale Version: 2014

Post by soprano08 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:27 pm

This is an old thread, but I just ran into the same problem today and found a solution. I thought I would post for other frustrated folks here in the future. While in lyrics mode, click on the lyrics drop-down menu. There will be a check next to "Edit Word Extensions," indicating that you are in that mode. Click instead on "Type Into Score." The check mark should move, and get you back to the usual input mode.