How to change the language of Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

luccassio
Finale Version: 2009

Post by luccassio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 am

Hi, I would like to change the Finale language from German into English but I do not know how ?
Could anybody help me here ? Thank you !

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am

I suppose that you mean translating the language in all Finale's menus, dialog boxes, help files (manual), &c.?

Although it is technically possible to do so, I would not recommend it, since it is a huge undertaking.

Instead I suggest that you contact MakeMusic about switching to the English version of Finale.
My guess is that you won't have to pay for another Finale serial number.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter Vizard
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter Vizard » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 am

In case the question arises for anyone else (I have the French 2014 version, but wanted the English version), I solved it by downloading the latest 2014.5 (trial) version which, when installed, automatically recognized the authorization and is sitting quite comfortably with the preceding one.

arfo
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by arfo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi Peter,
I'm having the same problem: I've the english version but I need the italian one... How can I do this? If I go to the 2014.5 free trial download page I don't see any option for a language change...
Thank you, arfo
Finale 2014 on Mac OSX 10.9.5

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:17 pm

You will have to contact Customer Support.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

arfo

Post by arfo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Thank you miker,
I did it and actually turned out I have to buy un italian upgrade... :-/
I was 'misleaded' by Peter's post because I thought I could choose the download language; but it's only in English...

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:31 pm

MakeMusic only develops and distributes the English version.
Makemusic leaves the translation up to local developers and distributors via a licence : Klemm for the German version, Ipe Music for the French, etc...
These companies develop their translations into an autonomous program.
It is thus not recommended to apply an update of a language to a version of the same year in another language. It creates problems a.o. in the menus (plug-ins duplicates, a.o.).
(N.B. : Peter Vizard's "trick" to switch to the English version works as 2014.5 is another version than 2014 and its installation sits side by side with 2014, 2012, etc...His authorization was transferred to 2014.5 English, excellent news).
To switch in the other direction, from English to another language, I guess you should contact the local developer/distributor to get the local version while keeping your original authorization code (or a new one).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

arfo

Post by arfo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi Michelp,
I contacted Midi Music but they told me I have to wait for the next upgrade; I hardly understand makemusic strategy...
Maybe I missed something in makemusic download page but they probably should be clearer about this fact.
I also don't understand why not they implement the correct Italian denomination (chord style) for chord symbols instead of/beside the solfeggio one that is surely less used.
Anyway...
Thank you for answering,
arfo

michelp

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi,

As far as the "latin" chord symbols are concerned (also used in French, but with an accent on Ré), why MM refuses to implement them is a mistery, considering hundreds of requests.
I assume that you are aware of the workaround, the FC font (FC = French Chords). After installation, type A and you'll get La, B -> Si etc...
Transposition works fine.
The Ré has an acute accent, but you could easily remove it in a font editor.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:35 pm

… or try the font MusicChordsSpanish which displays the chord roots in spanish style.

I could be wrong here, but I suppose that the italian chord roots are identical to the spanish chord roots?

To use the font, install it, and select the font as chord root font in your Finale documents/templates:
Document menu > Document Options - Fonts > Chord > Symbol

Unfortunately the font file is way too big to be attached here (in this forum the max. attachment file size is 100 KB).
But send me a Private Message, and I shall be happy to send the font file to you.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

arfo

Post by arfo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:35 pm

michelp wrote:Hi,
As far as the "latin" chord symbols are concerned (also used in French, but with an accent on Ré), why MM refuses to implement them is a mistery, considering hundreds of requests.
I assume that you are aware of the workaround, the FC font (FC = French Chords). After installation, type A and you'll get La, B -> Si etc...
Transposition works fine.
The Ré has an acute accent, but you could easily remove it in a font editor.
Hi michelp,
i didn't know about the FC font so you give a precious advice! Could you suggest me a free and, possibly, easy to manage font editor? I never used one...
Do you think I could edit the main Finale font (a copy) to have the right one? My publisher uses the standard Finale font for chords so I can't use another one... :-/
thank you again!
Peter Thomsen wrote:… or try the font MusicChordsSpanish which displays the chord roots in spanish style.

I could be wrong here, but I suppose that the italian chord roots are identical to the spanish chord roots?

To use the font, install it, and select the font as chord root font in your Finale documents/templates:
Document menu > Document Options - Fonts > Chord > Symbol

Unfortunately the font file is way too big to be attached here (in this forum the max. attachment file size is 100 KB).
But send me a Private Message, and I shall be happy to send the font file to you.
Hi Peter,
thank you too! I found the MusicChordSpanish font yet, in the makemusic forum and I tried it but the problem is, as I write in my answer to michelp, that I need the Finale traditional chord font (I suppose it to be Maestro or/and times new roman...)
Best regards! :-)

michelp

Post by michelp » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:58 pm

The FC font uses Arial, a bit closer, but not exactly what you want.
Font editors on the Mac : FontForge (free), some are expensive !
I will send you a private message about the FC font (Marc D.'s work, cleaned up by me), so you can look at it. I'm not an expert in font editing, so I have no idea whether is difficult or not to quickly change its font.
PS : not Maestro, as roots are regular text, not musical symbols.
The font we are talking about here only concerns roots, not the suffixes, which can be the ones proposed by Finale.
Michel

arfo

Post by arfo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Thank you so much!
I'll answer to your private message.