Text Expressions ove Multimeasure Rests

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CMoncur
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1 Mac
Operating System: Mac

Post by CMoncur » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 am

Just a quick question:

I am trying to get a text expression to sit above a multi measure rest and NOT disappear when I create the rest. Why is it that if the text expression is attached to the left of the bar, I can create a rest and the expression stays (I actually copied the Tempo category and only adjusted the font) but if I attach it to the right bar line...when I create the rest it disappears! To make it more confusing, if I add the expression AFTER I make the rest...it's fine! Problem is, the cues are already in the score and I don't want to have to take them all out and put them in after I go through and format the parts.

Here's what it looks like before:
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 12.14.02 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 12.14.02 AM.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
and here's what I want it to look like:
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 12.25.49 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 12.25.49 AM.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
but without having to delete the expression, and reattach it after the rest has been created.

I'm just not understanding why it works on the left and not on the right. It is basically a Tempo marking (copied the category to create these) with a different font and all I'm changing between the two is Justification from left to right and Horizontal Alignment from After Clef/Key etc. to Right barline. Just to be clear, there are a lot of these , if it was just the one I wouldn't worry and do it the long way but there are literally hundreds of these across 20 different instrument parts and in 32 songs....REALLY looking to save time!!!!!

Thanks

PS. I just upgraded to Finale 2014 with the latest update, not sure my profile is up to date!
Finale 26.3.1, Mac OS X 13.6.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:05 am

The problem is that when creating a multimeasure rest Finale uses one measure as its "display measure". The "display measure" is the first rest measure of the "multiple rest measures".
An expression attached to the first rest measure will display, but an expression attached to any other rest measure will be hidden.

If you attach the expression after you have created the multimeasure rest, then the expression will be attached to the first rest measure = it will be attached to the wrong measure - a fact you can verify by switching to Scroll View, or by breaking the multimeasure rest.

To get the desired layout, use a text repeat instead of a text expression.

In the Repeat Definition you can set the repeat's Justification to "Right".
In that way it will attach to the right barline.

The text repeat will display, even if it is attached to the Right Barline of the last measure in a Multimeasure Rest.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

CMoncur

Post by CMoncur » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Hey Peter!

Thanks! That totally works. One more problem for you though! I have a piece in Emaj, and a woodwind book that doubles on Clarinet at one point. I want the clarinet to be in GbMaj but of course finale is keeping it in F#Maj. I would like to avoid having independent key signatures on that staff, if at all possible, as there are lots of Key Sig changes and instrument changes. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Cam

CMoncur

Post by CMoncur » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Just to clarify, I though I had it figured out by going into the transposition in the score manager, choosing other, inserting -10 in the key alter. Totally worked for my problem, except 4 measures later when the concert key changes to D now I have a clarinet with 7 flats AND one sharp tagged on the end! Truly all I'm looking for is a box somewhere that say "Favor Flats" and "Favor Sharps" that I can check and I'm good to go but sadly I don't think this exists!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:15 pm

I suggest that you change the staff transposition "locally" via staff styles.

The ScoreManager's chiclet Instrument List sets the staff transposition "globally" (= for all the measures in the entire document).

However, you actually can use the Instrument List to make a change "locally" (in case you insist on using the Instrument List instead of using a staff style):

To see what is going on, first Customize View in the Instrument List so that it displays "Start Measure".

Then use the Utility "Change Instrument" (at the bottom of the Utilities menu).
By changing to another instrument you can change the staff transposition "locally".

I am not saying that this is easier than the staff style solution - I just want you to know the option.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996