Extra time or beats in a measure

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

frankadams
Finale Version: Printmusic 2011a.r1
Operating System: Mac

Post by frankadams » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi, I'm new. I'm using PrintMusic v 2011 for Windows. I'm a singer, not a composer. I want to use PM to play my part, so I can learn it. So, I've scanned in the piece of music (I know..be careful of violating copyright). In the original sheet music, some of the measures are wider than others. I have finally gotten all four parts' notes entered correctly. ( I'm *not* pleased with how well, or poorly, the scan system worked). When the measures are longer, but have few notes, quarters and/or halfnotes, where in many of the measures there are eighth notes, when the playback comes to the "empty" space in the measure, it simply goes quiet for a beat or two, until the cursor comes to the next measure.

Also, I've used layers for the different voices, (1T on layer one, staff one; 2T on layer two, staff one; Bari on layer three staff two; and Bass on layer four, staff two.) and in a number of places the notes from the different voices don't line up or play at the same time as the corresponding count note in a different voice/layer.

I've checked the measures in the various layers; there are no extra rests or notes.

I'm fairly sure that I'm not crazy (yet), but I am getting there.

Any help would really help. <s>

Frank Adams

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 am

Welcome to the forum.

Rule number one: forget about scanning. Most of us have found that it's faster to enter notes from scratch, than to scan, proofread, and correct the errors. Even for those of us skilled in using the program, correcting a bad scan is a nightmare, with time signature and layer problems throughout. For a beginner, it's worse.

For what you're doing, if you have have two staves, you only need two layers in each one. Layers 3 and 4 aren't necessary, except in a few circumstances.

You can post one of the problem files, and we'll have a look at it. To post a .mus file here, it must be compressed (zipped) and cannot exceed 100 kb in size.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

frankadams

Post by frankadams » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:30 am

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it confirmed what I did not want to hear. For me, keying in all the notes is just an exercise of wasted time, and frustration. I can get better results for the invested time by just plunking out my part on my cheap keyboard. Do you suppose that I can get a refund from Finale?

Frank Adams

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 am

You can certainly ask.

But why do you think it's wasted time to enter the notes? I have keyed in hundreds of songs, and once you learn the methods, it's the same amount of time as "plunking it out." Of course, you only have do it once, and then you play it back as many times as you like. If you've entered the other voices, you can fade them out as you learn your part.

Or, you can just enter your line, and go from there.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

frankadams

Post by frankadams » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Well... maybe it's just frustration and depression. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice.

Frank Adams

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 am

Just remember that there are a number of ways to enter notes. You might have to try a few of them, before you find the one that fits your work process the best.

Do the tutorials, and don't be shy about asking for help.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

frankadams

Post by frankadams » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Thank you for your patience, and recommendations.
Of course, you were correct...experience trumps inexperience.
Today I have just started with a new sheet, and have keyed in most of the piece that I was so frustrated over. It truly is much easier to just not try to scan.
Also, the problem with the extra time in the measures doesn't exist this way either.
I am much happier with it now. Thank you again.

But now I have a different question. Is there software that will do what I *really* want it to? Simply scan in the sheet music, and tell it to play the second tenor part? Like I could do if I had a pianist at my beck and call?

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 pm

I don't think so. Some people have had more success with the full, expensive version of SmartScore, but still, it's going to be a crap shoot.

Play around with the repitch tool. If you are doing a choral score where everybody sings pretty much the same rhythm, but with different notes, it's a true timesaver. Even if the rhythm varies, a combination of copy/paste/repitch will have you sailing along.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

frankadams

Post by frankadams » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Repitch sounds like a useful tool. I'll give it a look.

Thank you

frankadams

Post by frankadams » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Hello....I'm back.
I'm using Printmusic 2014 on PC, Widows 7 at the office and windows 10 at home.

The problem is exactly the same as previous, except for the scanning part. That is, in measures where there are fewer notes, but somewhat wider measure space, the tempo slows way down, then picks up again in measures with measure space approximately equal to the notes. Even in measures with lots of notes, where the notes are spaced farther apart, because for example the lyrics words are long, the tempo matches the note spacing instead of the straight 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4.

Help!!

miker

Post by miker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Frank,
I've sent you a private message.
Mike
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura