Problems with Lyric Tool and Expressions in 2014

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Paul Inwood
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Paul Inwood » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Finale 2014a on PC Windows 7.

Ever since upgrading to 2014 I have found the Lyrics Tool working incorrectly. Selecting Type into Score provides the triangles at the left margin, but clicking on or anywhere around the note gives no cursor to start you off. I have worked around this by selecting Adjust Syllables and then returning to Type into Score, when the cursor then appears normally. But this does not always work. When it doesn't, my second workaround has been to type the first word or syllable direct into the Lyric Box, select Click Assignment, and begin that way. Once you have one word or syllable in place, Type into Score works normally.

Today, however, even Click Assignment is refusing to work. When clicking or control-clicking on or under the note, the triangles at the left margin simply disappear and nothing else happens. All suggestions gratefully received.

I am hoping that this is not a result of 2014 only working properly with Windows 8, which I have no desire to install into I have to.

Another problem has arisen in working with an XML file that I have been sent. Some expressions (metronome markings) refuse to stay where they are dragged to and "bounce back" to a position somewhat indented from the beginning of the staff. I have not encountered this problem before.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Paul Inwood wrote:…Today, however, even Click Assignment is refusing to work. When clicking or control-clicking on or under the note, the triangles at the left margin simply disappear and nothing else happens…
You may have found a bug in Finale 2014.
But first, make sure that you are in the right layer.

Paul Inwood wrote:…Another problem has arisen in working with an XML file that I have been sent. Some expressions (metronome markings) refuse to stay where they are dragged to and "bounce back" to a position somewhat indented from the beginning of the staff. I have not encountered this problem before.
The culprit may be the expression category.

Go to
Document menu > Category Designer…
and take a look at the Positioning settings for the category “Tempo marks”.

By default Tempo Marks are set up to, display at the “Start of Time Signature”.
If you instead choose “Horizontal Click Position”, the problem should go away.

NB:
To edit the category Tempo Marks, you must first select Tempo Marks in the left side of the Category Designer.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:41 pm

If you determine that it isn't a layer issue, please send it in to tech support. There are a number of us experiencing various problems with lyrics is 2014.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Paul Inwood

Post by Paul Inwood » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Well, it's not a layer issue. But that prompted me to try something else and then I found a new workaround: I changed from Voice 1 to Voice 2 and then changed back. Then I could type into the score (but Click Assignment is still not working). Then I went into Lyric Options and unchecked Use Smart Word Extensions, and lo and behold Type into Score stopped working again. So I went back into Lyric Options, went to Word Extensions, did not change anything, but clicked on Apply again, and everything started to work again — except Click Assignment.

Re Expressions: Thanks for the tip. Went in and changed to Horizontal Click Position. Result: One tempo marking is now positionable with the mouse; the other one isn't! I have found that dragging it much further to the left than I want it makes it bounce back to a position closer to the one I want. Using the arrows to nudge it to the left then seems to work. All very strange.

miker

Post by miker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm

The point is, you shouldn't need workarounds for a simple, misbehaving tool. Please send it in!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

SWagner73
Finale Version: Finale2014

Post by SWagner73 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm

There are definitely issues with the Lyric tool. When I try to make corrections (say change a comma to a period) or adjust the size, the text turns to uneditable, undeletable garbage. And FYI - I'm a professional music engraver who has been using Finale since 1994.

Sandy

Paul Inwood

Post by Paul Inwood » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:41 pm

I have been on Finale 2014b for some time, and this is behaving much better.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

The latest Finale 2014 maintenance update is 2014d.

Lots of bug fixes - and also fixes in the user interface.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ticenogle
Finale Version: v25

Post by ticenogle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm having very similar issues with v25. Type Into Score produces the positioning triangles. Click Assignment, they disappear. This was definitely not the case with Finale 2010. I now need to find a workaround.
Last edited by ticenogle on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:42 pm

I believe that's normal behavior.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura