Change the note pitch but the note position

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TTMusic
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by TTMusic » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi

I need to change the note pitch, without changing the position of the note on the staff.
I have not to change the pitch of the whole staff but only a specific note. Is that possible?

Thank you so much

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:26 pm

I don't understand. The position on the staff determines the pitch! Can you be more specific?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

TTMusic

Post by TTMusic » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:41 pm

miker wrote:I don't understand. The position on the staff determines the pitch! Can you be more specific?
Yes: I write for instance the note C4 on the G Clef staff.
But that C4 should sound as a G4 when reproduced.

the reason: often writing violin staves, you have harmonics that are depicted as the note position where you have to put your finger. In the reality the emitted sound is the one of the harmonic not the one of the note drawn on the score.
See for instance the bars 39 and 40 of "The Boy Paganini" of Mollenhauer

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm

TTMusic wrote:…I need to change the note pitch, without changing the position of the note on the staff…
It is not very clear what you mean?

Is this a layout issue or a playback issue? or both?

Please be more specific.

Without more info from you we can only guess “until the cows come home”.

A shot in the dark:
If you add an accidental on the note, you will change the pitch by a semitone (up/down) without changing the note’s position (up/down) on the staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 pm

If I understand your question correctly, you want a note to sound at another pitch than what's written.
An expression could do that. Select the thumbnail "Playback" and next to Type, select Transposition and enter the appropriate interval (count in half steps).
The expression can be hidden, but a second expression will be necessary, with Transposition set to None, if you have to revert to "normal" playback.
I just hope that you don't have too many changes like that...
You also can use the JW Change plug-in for the same operation : Noteheads -> Midi Playback Transpose, with filters which can be applied to specific types of notes.`
PS : you might want to take a look at the TGTools plug-in Easy Harmonics, which I am not familiar with. Or even better, the more complete Harmonics plug-in which is part of the "full" TGTools collection.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

TTMusic

Post by TTMusic » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:29 pm

michelp wrote:If I understand your question correctly, you want a note to sound at another pitch than what's written.
An expression could do that. Select the thumbnail "Playback" and next to Type, select Transposition and enter the appropriate interval (count in half steps).
The expression can be hidden, but a second expression will be necessary, with Transposition set to None, if you have to revert to "normal" playback.
I just hope that you don't have too many changes like that...
You also can use the JW Change plug-in for the same operation : Noteheads -> Midi Playback Transpose, with filters which can be applied to specific types of notes.`
PS : you might want to take a look at the TGTools plug-in Easy Harmonics, which I am not familiar with. Or even better, the more complete Harmonics plug-in which is part of the "full" TGTools collection.
I opened the score

on the Playback settings (the only one thumbnail referred to play back) I don't find "transposition" aside "Type" .. the only one "Type" is on it is the Human Playback type.

If I go on Plug-Ins -> Note, beam and Rest editing -> Single Pitch and i write the new pitch, the note changes position

Trying TG Tools easy Harmonics: it applies to all the third and fifths ... thus not to a single note

TTMusic

Post by TTMusic » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
TTMusic wrote:…I need to change the note pitch, without changing the position of the note on the staff…
It is not very clear what you mean?

Is this a layout issue or a playback issue? or both?

Please be more specific.

Without more info from you we can only guess “until the cows come home”.

A shot in the dark:
If you add an accidental on the note, you will change the pitch by a semitone (up/down) without changing the note’s position (up/down) on the staff.
Hi Peter

Let's say: i write a C and it should sound (the pitch) as G ... thus when I go on Playback, only on that specific note, when the cursor goes above it, instead of to hear a C I should hear a G .. while graphically is written a C ...

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:17 pm

TTMusic wrote:on the Playback settings (the only one thumbnail referred to play back) I don't find "transposition" aside "Type" .. the only one "Type" is on it is the Human Playback type.
Create an expression, you'll see the thumbnail I'm referring to.
(I wrote "an expression can do that")
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:52 pm

TTMusic wrote:…Trying TG Tools easy Harmonics: it applies to all the third and fifths ... thus not to a single note
Natural harmonics (other than octaves) present a problem in Finale. If one wants to give the player more help than by just notating the sounded pitch with a circle over it, one has to notate the nodal (touched) pitch with a diamond note-head, but without indicating the fundamental (the open string). For instance if one wants to have F#''' played as a natural harmonic on a violin or viola, one has to notate F#' or B' (and, if one wants to, F#''' as a small note-head). One can indicate the D string with 'sul D' or 'sul III'; but if one actually notates D', the player will play the harmonic as an artificial harmonic on the G string despite the little circle.

Here is the solution:

To notate natural string harmonics which will play back at the correct pitch:

1. Enter the nodal (touched) note and the sounding pitch, but not the open note.
2. Use TG Tools to create the harmonic: uncheck ‘Add sounding pitch as note’ and ‘Parenthesize’.
3. In Special Tools, change the diamond note-head to a round one and the round one to a diamond.
4. Add the harmonic symbol (small circle) and, if desired, add the name of the string.

The principle that this rests on is that with any harmonic, the sounded pitch is always a harmonic of the nodal (touched) pitch regarded as a fundamental, as well as being a harmonic of the real fundamental. It is thus possible to fool TG Tools into behaving as if the nodal pitch of a natural harmonic is the fundamental of an artificial harmonic, and — thus fooled — TG Tools will still cause the desired pitch to sound at playback.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

TTMusic

Post by TTMusic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 am

@michelp Right. I'm sorry I just misunderstood. Indeed with the expression tool it's possible. It's needed to create e new one then Edit -> Playback -> Transposition.
It's also needed to create one with the returning to the pitch otherwise from that note on, all the similar notes are pitched higher. the text used to identify the expression can be hidden.

@Peter Thomsen: I tried the way you suggested, it works, it gives the very high harmonic pitch although it's a way complex than the expression (the icon "mezzo forte" "mf". It's certainly a valid way.

Thank you so much to both of you :-)