Display instrument Tuning on the staff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

matias4000
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by matias4000 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Is there any way to display the instrument Tuning at the beginning of the staff? Something like the picture I've attached.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 2.32.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 2.32.24 PM.png (27.37 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Indeed it is possible.

One way to do it is to add the tuning as an expression.

See the attached Finale 2012 document.
Attachments
Tuning2012.mus.zip
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

matias4000

Post by matias4000 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:Indeed it is possible.

One way to do it is to add the tuning as an expression.

See the attached Finale 2012 document.
This would work. But the expression is not linked to the musicxml attribute that carries the tuning right? this would be a separate thing. I need a way to display the tuning attribute, so that I don't have to create expressions every time I change the tuning.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:52 pm

matias4000 wrote:…This would work. But the expression is not linked to the musicxml attribute that carries the tuning, right? this would be a separate thing. I need a way to display the tuning attribute, so that I don't have to create expressions every time I change the tuning.
I am afraid I do not understand.

The musicXML format and the Finale .mus format are two different file formats.

Do you need to export the Finale .mus document as a MusicXML file that you can open in a different program - e. g. Sibelius - and have the tuning displayed in Sibelius?

Please describe what you want to achieve.

Advice is only as good as knowledge of the project.
The more we know about your project, the better we can help you.

matias4000

Post by matias4000 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
matias4000 wrote:…This would work. But the expression is not linked to the musicxml attribute that carries the tuning, right? this would be a separate thing. I need a way to display the tuning attribute, so that I don't have to create expressions every time I change the tuning.
I am afraid I do not understand.

The musicXML format and the Finale .mus format are two different file formats.

Do you need to export the Finale .mus document as a MusicXML file that you can open in a different program - e. g. Sibelius - and have the tuning displayed in Sibelius?

Please describe what you want to achieve.

Advice is only as good as knowledge of the project.
The more we know about your project, the better we can help you.
If I go to the ScoreManager, I can choose the instrument and apply a custom tuning to it. I would like to display this tuning on the score. If I do it as an Expression, every time I add a new tuning in the Score Manager, I would have to also go and create an expression. Then later on if I export this as a musicxml file, I would have 2 attributes, one with the tuning of the staff created in the score manager and a 2nd one which is the expression.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:21 pm

matias4000 wrote:…If I do it as an Expression, every time I add a new tuning in the Score Manager, I would have to also go and create an expression. Then later on if I export this as a musicxml file, I would have 2 attributes, one with the tuning of the staff created in the score manager and a 2nd one which is the expression.
I am afraid I still do not understand.

Are you saying that you, in the MusicXML file “would have 2 attributes, one with the tuning of the staff created in the score manager and a 2nd one which is the expression”?

By The Way:
For what are you using the MusicXML file?
In what program will you be opening/using the MusicXML file? (perhaps Sibelius? - or?)

matias4000

Post by matias4000 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
matias4000 wrote:…If I do it as an Expression, every time I add a new tuning in the Score Manager, I would have to also go and create an expression. Then later on if I export this as a musicxml file, I would have 2 attributes, one with the tuning of the staff created in the score manager and a 2nd one which is the expression.
I am afraid I still do not understand.

Are you saying that you, in the MusicXML file “would have 2 attributes, one with the tuning of the staff created in the score manager and a 2nd one which is the expression”?

By The Way:
For what are you using the MusicXML file?
In what program will you be opening/using the MusicXML file? (perhaps Sibelius? - or?)
The main issue is not really the xml file, but the fact that if I change tuning in the score manager, the expression doesn't reflect that change. I have to change the expression as well.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:55 pm

matias4000 wrote:…The main issue is not really the xml file, but the fact that if I change tuning in the score manager, the expression doesn't reflect that change. I have to change the expression as well.
Is the main issue
- with the data structure in the document?
or
- with the time it takes you to display the tuning?

I do not know of a way to get an “automatic” display of the TAB tuning.

My best suggestion is an expression library with all the tunings you use.
You only have to create the library once.

You can load that library into your documents.

You can also load the library into your templates, and program expression metatools for your tuning expressions.
In that way all new documents will have the tuning expressions with ready made metatools.
With metatools it only takes a few seconds to switch expression.

To switch to another tuning expression:

Selection Tool.
Double-click the tuning expression. Finale will switch to the Expression Tool, with the expression selected.
Double-tap the metatool trigger key for the expression you want to change to.