Problem with sending midi to channel

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NotaBene
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by NotaBene » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi,

I have a roland xv-5050 module that I use with Finale.
previous versions of finale used to play through 1 MIDI channel ('Strings" - channel 12 for example) 5 different instruments (Violin I, II, Viola, Violoncello & Contrabass).

when I wanted one instrument (contrabass for ex.) to play pizzicato, I used the expression 'pizz' which I defined to play through channel 13 (pizzicato strings in roland).

now in Finale 2014 I use the same thing, but when I add pizz. to contrabass all of the other instruments sended to channel 12 also play pizz.

how can I fix it?
P.S. I uploaded a 2009 mus file to 2014, and it also has multiple instruments directed to the same module midi channel (12) and when one of them is ordered to play pizz. (through channel 13) individualy it works, and there is no effect on the other instruments.

help please..

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum!
NotaBene wrote:…when I add pizz. to contrabass all of the other instruments sended to channel 12 also play pizz.…
My first guess is that you should take a good look at your pizz. expression.

In which expression category is the pizz. expression?
Does that category have a Score List?
(some categories have a Score List, other categories do not have a Score List)

Also, take a good look at the linked parts.
Is the pizz. expression showing only in the contrabbasso part? (it should)
Or is it also showing in the other linked parts? (it should not)

I suspect that the pizz. expression applies to all the staves, even if it displays in only one staff.
The culprit could be a Score List.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:25 pm

If it is not the case, try giving each instrument a different midi channel (Score Manager window, "Ch" column).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua