how to edit (invert) character from Opus ornament font

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio

Post by Florio » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Would it somehow be possible to invert a symbol from the Opus Ornaments font (no. 69) using the Articulation Designer function?
This particular symbol consists of an upside down semicircle attached to a short wavy trill line. I basically want to turn this symbol upside down so the the wavy line comes first and is attached to the semicircle, which is the right way up.

Florio

Finale 2012c
Windows 7 Home Premium

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:34 pm

To rotate text by 180°, use the Shape Designer.

In Other Words:
To create an articulation with a rotated text, create the articulation as a shape articulation (not as a font character articulation).

To rotate text in the Shape Designer, enter the text as a Custom Arrowhead on a no thickness (zero thickness) line.
You will only see the Arrowhead, not the line.
You can draw the (invisible) line at any angle.

See the attached Finale 2012 document.

To avoid doing the work yourself you can save my articulation as an articulation library, and load the library into your templates.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Attachments
RotatedOrnament.mus.zip
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Florio

Post by Florio » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks Peter.

It still isn't very clear to me how to create an articulation as a shape articulation (not as a font character articulation). For me, this has always been the most complex aspect of Finale!

I have added your ornament to my library, but it's not exactly what I was after; the semicircle at the end should be the right way up, a bit like the letter u.

Florio

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:47 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about flipping the Opus Ornaments font character #69 Horizontally (not rotating it by 180°) - a bit like the character in slot #36, right?

To do so you need a font editor.

The “pro” solution would be to create a Horizontally flipped version the entire Opus Ornaments font (= all the font characters).

I have a Horizontally flipped version of the Maestro font, but not a Horizontally flipped version of the Opus Ornaments font, sorry.

Another idea:
Use the Shape Designer to combine the font character {short wavy trill line} with an arc drawn in the Shape Designer’s drawing tools.

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:55 am

The ornament I need to notate is virtually the same as Opus Ornaments no.69, but the semicircle is at the end of the wavy trill line, and not at the beginning.

Yes, I could probably create it myself. Did you mean doing everything with Shape Designer (if so, from where do I import the wavy trill line?). Or should I just insert the trill line as an articulation, and then add the semicircle after I've designed it with the Shape Designer?

Florio

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:53 am

Florio wrote:…I could probably create it myself. Did you mean doing everything with Shape Designer (if so, from where do I import the wavy trill line?)…
Take a look at the attached Finale 2012 document.

In the Shape Designer I entered (using the Shape Designer’s sub-tool Text Tool) a text block with the wavy trill line from the Opus Ornaments font (character slot #181).

Using the Shape Designer’s sub-tool Slur Tool I added a slur to the shape.

The slur looked quite flat, so I decided to adjust its curvature.
To do so I use the Shape Designer’s sub-tool Selection Tool, and clicked the slur.
This step made 3 handles appear on the slur.
I clicked the middle handle to select it, and nudged the handle vertically with the arrow keys on the computer keyboard.
Attachments
FlippedOrnament.mus.zip
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:47 am

Okay, now I get it :D

Once I understood how to get the Opus ornament into the Shape Designer pane (via the text tool), I had no problems adding the curve and further adjusting the curvature.

Many thanks,

Florio