Is there a font with a Notehead like this: X

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Kroy
Finale Version: 2009
Operating System: Mac

Post by Kroy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:55 am

Is there font available for a notehead that is a cross eg X, also with a quarter note stem.

I want to place a crash cymbal at the top of a one bar repeat, but perhaps there is another way to do this..

Finale 2009
Macbook 10.9.4
Finale 2009
several Apple Macs with OSes from 10.4.11 - 10.9

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:46 pm

You can find an X-notehead in the Maestro font, in font slot #192.

You can also find the X-notehead in the other music fonts that come with Finale:
Broadway Copyist
Engraver Font Set
Jazz
Petrucci
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Kroy

Post by Kroy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:03 am

Thank you, Peter - Seasons Greetings to you, and thank you so much for all the help - this forum is great!

I can't find exactly the one I'm looking for, which is a x or an asterisk with a stem.

Is there a way to have a staff style in a bar (like a one bar repeat), with notation just above the same bar ie like in a different layer (though that doesn't work)?
Finale 2009

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:11 am

Kroy wrote:Is there font available for a notehead that is a cross eg X, also with a quarter note stem.

I want to place a crash cymbal at the top of a one bar repeat, but perhaps there is another way to do this.
Kroy wrote:…I can't find exactly the one I'm looking for, which is a x or an asterisk with a stem…
Now I am a little confused.

If you edit the notehead on an ordinary quarter note, and change the notehead to an X-notehead, then you already have a stem on the note, and there is no need for a stem in the X-notehead font character.

Generally the notehead font characters do not include a stem inside the font character.
In Finale a stem is a line (not a font character!), and Finale draws stems on notes - the stem is not a part of the notehead character.

Kroy wrote:…Is there a way to have a staff style in a bar (like a one bar repeat), with notation just above the same bar ie like in a different layer (though that doesn't work)?
Yes, there is a way:
In the dialog box Alternate Notation you have at the bottom a pane where you can select, what to show from other layers.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Kroy

Post by Kroy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:19 am

Thank you, Alternate Notation did what I wanted.
Finale 2009