expression tool markings

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Sir Lunch
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by Sir Lunch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Hey there....

I am using Finale 2014 on a Mac, and when I open files that were created in earlier versions of Finale, or PrintMusic, I can view and edit the scores with ease, however when the parts are extracted, virtually all of the expression tool markings are altered, most notably, they are preceded with this: ,4096),4096),4096),4096),4096)Fast as an example....this applies to markings other than volume markings, i.e. mf, or sfz, that sort of thing is fine, it's just all the other expressions....

Now, I can edit the expression to remove all the unnecessary garbage, but if that weren't enough of a pain in the backside, even after the part is now saved, saved as, or even saved as with a new title in the new version (2014), if I then find that I need to open the part again to make further changes, the same thing happens, albeit with fewer 4096's appearing, usually only one....

Is there any way to prevent / avoid this?

Thx

Sir Lunch

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:52 pm

I have never heard of that issue before.

You may have to ask the folks in Tech Support at MakeMusic.

However, from your description it sounds like some sort of file corruption.
A fix that Tech Support often suggests against file corruption:
Export the music as MusicXML, and import the MusicXML into a new, empty document.

By The Way:
You tell that you extract parts.
It may not be necessary to extract parts, since Finale has linked parts.
What do the linked parts look like?
Do the linked parts have the same “4096” problem as the extracted parts?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Sir Lunch

Post by Sir Lunch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi....I've never seen the words linked parts....I am aware only of extract parts from the file drop down menu but I'll have a look around for that...if you mean that parts that have been extracted once can then be considered linked, I haven't seen that either, but for the current project I am working on, I started with the score only....I had not yet extracted the parts for formatting...

Thx

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 am

The term “linked parts” means that the parts (with layout and everything) are included in the
score document.
If you change a note in the score, then the part will automatically be changed, too.

Linked parts have been a feature in Finale since Finale 2007.

To examine the linked parts (in case linked parts have already been generated), go to
Document menu > Edit Part > …

Sir Lunch

Post by Sir Lunch » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 am

Ok so I see what you mean now, but that is actually worse than opening the extracted part that I have already formatted....what comes up by choosing to Edit any given part is the raw file, before any formatting was done...

It isn't the end of the world to have to edit the expressions, it's just that once that is done and the file saved in the current Finale version, you'd think they would stay edited....

Anyway, thx for your help....

Sir Lunch

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:02 am

Sir Lunch wrote:OK so I see what you mean now, but that is actually worse than opening the extracted part that I have already formatted … what comes up by choosing to Edit any given part is the raw file, before any formatting was done …
There is no linking between the score document and the extracted parts.

The extracted parts are created from the linked parts.
If you had edited the part layout in the linked parts (instead of editing the layout in the extracted parts), then the linked parts and the extracted parts would show the same layout.

Sir Lunch

Post by Sir Lunch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:18 am

Ok, I just tried that, and after fixing one of the expressions to get rid of all the 4096s, I went back to the score, and then back to edit the linked part, and it was fine, BUT when I then extracted that same part, there was still a single 4096 on the expression...

However, this still helps me, as now I know that I can edit from the linked parts, and choose to print from there or save as a pdf, rather than extracting all the parts...

Thx once again for your help....

scmusicbiz
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by scmusicbiz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:52 pm

A year or so later, I am also seeing ,4096) in expressions. Exporting to XML and re-importing did not help, but here's what did: Select TEXT SEARCH & REPLACE in the Edit menu, tell it to search for ,4096) and leave the replace box empty.