Merging Layers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bdidderlee
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by bdidderlee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Is it possible to merge layers on Finale 2014 (Windows)? That is, to take take 2 or 3 layers from a staff and merge them into one without deleting anything. The "Edit - Move/Copy Layers" function won't do this when trying to move parts of measures to different layers without deleting what is already there.

Thanks.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm

If the layers have the same rhythm, JW Staff Polyphony>Layers>Merge will do what you want.
Attachments
before.png
before.png (33.85 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
after.png
after.png (32.3 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

bdidderlee

Post by bdidderlee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:57 pm

But what if they don't have the same rhythm?

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Then they can't be in the same layer. You could merge the common rhythm notes, but it would have to be done manually, as far as I know, with hidden rests for the "out of rhythm" layer notes.
mixed.png
mixed.png (39.43 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
Can you give us an example of what you're working with?
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

bdidderlee

Post by bdidderlee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:44 pm

I'd be glad to. Please excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me the easiest way to isolate and post an example. Is that a normal screenshot?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:50 pm

bdidderlee wrote:But what if they don't have the same rhythm?
If you need to have different rhythms simultanously in the same layer, then you ca not have more than max. two rhythms simultaneously, and the two rhythms must be in separate Voices - using the Speedy Entry Tool feature ‘Voice 1 / Voice 2’.

Perhaps the following is not a satisfying workaround for your problem:

As a workaround you could change the rhythm notation using ties so that you e. g. instead of one half note have two quarter notes tied together.

See the attached graphic.
TiedNote.gif
TiedNote.gif (1.09 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
With this workaround it is also possible to have 3 different rhythms simultanously.

But like I said, this may not be a satisfying solution for your problem.
I agree with Mike that we need to know more about the actual example, that you are working on.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:52 pm

bdidderlee wrote:I'd be glad to. Please excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me the easiest way to isolate and post an example. Is that a normal screenshot?
I would use Finale’s Graphics Tool.

In the Finale document, double-click and drag across the desired region.
Then go to
Graphics menu > Export Selection…

bdidderlee

Post by bdidderlee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 pm

When I click on the Graphics Menu, the selected region then deselects, and the Export Selection option is greyed out. How come?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:41 pm

bdidderlee wrote:When I click on the Graphics Menu, the selected region then deselects…
Are you sure that you are clicking on the Graphics menu?

You are not clicking on the Graphics Tool icon - in order to switch to the Graphics Tool?

You must be in the Graphics Tool (not in the Selection Tool) before you select an area via double-click and drag.

bdidderlee

Post by bdidderlee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:52 pm

For some reason, Finale would not let me choose Export Selection. When I double clicked the region, a dialogue box opened and asked me for a file to import, and Export Selection was still greyed out. However it let me export the whole page, which I opened in Photoshop and cropped and saved as a .png.

There are 3 layers happening in the first measure of this piano score example. It's my first attempt at using the score function in Finale, and not being a pianist, I just wanted to get my ideas down to play them back properly, so it wound up being kind of a mess.

I have been able to copy / paste / delete the piano score into an ensemble score for clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, trombone, piano, guitar, bass and drums. I have finished the four horns and would like to import the piano score as a piano part, minus the melody, which is played by the tenor. That's why, as my ultimate goal here, I'm looking for a function that will let me "flatten" the layers a la Photoshop, so I can eventually print out a flattened piano part.

Am I making sense?
Misty Piano Score p5 m62-64.png
Misty Piano Score p5 m62-64.png (30.8 KiB) Viewed 7707 times

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 pm

What I see as the problem (and I'm not a pianist, either) is that there are an awful lot of huge spreads for one hand to play on the piano. A reduction is more than just mashing the layers together; you have to decide which chords can be played in a different inversion, or notes left out, or put in a different octave.

I would try to keep all of those chords within the same octave, or, at most, a ninth. Although some of the greats (Horowitz, Rubenstien, etc.) could reach a 12th or even a 13th (!!!) that's not most of us.

I would consider rewriting it. Sorry!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:40 pm

bdidderlee wrote:For some reason, Finale would not let me choose Export Selection. When I double clicked the region, a dialogue box opened and asked me for a file to import, and Export Selection was still greyed out…
Do not double-click.
Instead, double-click-drag; that is, double-click without releasing on the second click, and drag across the desired area.
By The Way:
Are you using a mouse or a track pad?

bdidderlee wrote:…There are 3 layers happening in the first measure of this piano score example. It's my first attempt at using the score function in Finale, and not being a pianist, I just wanted to get my ideas down to play them back properly, so it wound up being kind of a mess.

I have been able to copy / paste / delete the piano score into an ensemble score for clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, trombone, piano, guitar, bass and drums. I have finished the four horns and would like to import the piano score as a piano part, minus the melody, which is played by the tenor. That's why, as my ultimate goal here, I'm looking for a function that will let me "flatten" the layers a la Photoshop, so I can eventually print out a flattened piano part…
1) To “minus” the melody, switch to the layer that contains the melody, and select the option
Document menu > Show Active Layer Only
Now you can clear the music in the melody layer.
The other layers will remain.
You can de-select “Show Active Layer Only” when you have “minus-ed” the melody layer.

2) In a piano part there is no reason to “flatten” the part down to only one layer.
Originally there were three layers, but since you have just cleared the “melody layer”, there are now two layers left.
It is perfectly normal to have two layers in a piano part.
Pianists are used to seeing that.
In measures where the two layers have the same rhythm, you might consider merging the two layers into one layer.
JW Staff Polyphony>Layers>Merge will do what you want, as Mike pointed out above.

Am I making sense?

bdidderlee

Post by bdidderlee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks guys! I definitely appreciate the help.