Score Merger Issues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Geha
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Mac

Post by Geha » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:54 pm

I am having issues with titles of movements not sticking to the first measure of the movement when any sort of re-formatting happens.

Let me explain: I have merged 11 files into a score. The score is for a musical, and I have several instruments in the full score, plus a separate part for a rehearsal piano. I was hoping to be able to have a master file from which I could print/PDF the Full Score and the Rehearsal Score. However, when I select the Rehearsal Score in the manager (which is comprised of the rehearsal piano and vocal parts), and then move into page view, the titles stay on the pages assigned in the full score.

[To explain that last sentence - movement 3 starts on page 30 of the full score. But with the reduced staffs in the rehearsal score, it starts on page 10. The title for movement 3 stays on page 30, and the smaller title at the top of page 10 is for movement 1].

I have tried the option in the text tab of "Assign to Measure" vs "Assign to Page" - but these options are not available when I've highlighted the titles of the movements.

My last resort, of course, is to create two separate files of all 11 pieces, then use score merger on both groups. I'd love to avoid that, if possible.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Geha wrote:…I have merged 11 files into a score…
If I understand you correctly, you have merged 11 scores “horizontally” into 1 score.
You have not merged 11 parts “vertically” into a score.
Right?

Geha wrote:…The score is for a musical, and I have several instruments in the full score, plus a separate part for a rehearsal piano. I was hoping to be able to have a master file from which I could print/PDF the Full Score and the Rehearsal Score. However, when I select the Rehearsal Score in the manager (which is comprised of the rehearsal piano and vocal parts), and then move into page view, the titles stay on the pages assigned in the full score.

[To explain that last sentence - movement 3 starts on page 30 of the full score. But with the reduced staffs in the rehearsal score, it starts on page 10. The title for movement 3 stays on page 30, and the smaller title at the top of page 10 is for movement 1].

I have tried the option in the text tab of "Assign to Measure" vs "Assign to Page" - but these options are not available when I've highlighted the titles of the movements…
There are several possible solutions.
Since I do not know the music, I can not tell, which solution is best for your particular case.

I can imagine 3 solutions: two different solutions with text blocks, and one solution with expressions:

1) If you prefer to use a page assigned text block for the Title, consider using one text block in the Full Score, and another text block in the Rehearsal Score (which is a linked part, I suppose?).

You can hide the “score” text block in the linked part, by (while viewing the part) dragging the “score” text block outside the right edge of the page (you may need to Zoom Out first).
The text block will not move in the score.

You can hide the “part” text block in the score, by (while viewing the score) dragging the “part” text block outside the right edge of the page.
To avoid that the text block also moves in the part, hold down the “Override Key” while dragging.
And what key is the “Override Key”?
Since you are using the Mac version, the Override Key is the Command key (cloverleaf key).
In the Windows version the Override Key is the Ctrl key (I think).

The drawback of solution 1) is that you need many text blocks, and even more text blocks if you also need to create a part for each instrument.

2) You only need one text block for the Full Score and the Rehearsal Score if you instead use a measure/staff assigned text block for the Title.
To change an existing text block from page assigned to measure/staff assigned, you must be in the Text Tool.
Drag across the text block handle, to select the handle.
Then hold down Shift while hitting Return to open the dialog box Frame Attributes.
(Or get there via Text menu > Frame Attributes…)

By The Way:
If you create a new text block from Scroll View, it will by default be measure/staff assigned.

The drawback of solution 2) is that a measure/staff assigned text block is assigned to a specific staff.
If you need to create all the individual instrument parts, and need the Title in all the individual parts, then you need a separate Title text block in each instrument/staff.

3) An often used solution for movement titles is an expression, attached to the Top Staff in an empty
one-measure system that displays nothing except the {Title expression}.
Use a custom staff style that de-selects the display of clefs, key signatures, barlines &c.

With this solution you only need one expression that displays the Title correctly in the score as well as in
all the linked parts.
See the attached Finale 2011 document (look at both the score and the linked parts in the document).
Attachments
MovementTitle2011.mus.zip
(4.8 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996