Finale 2014 Glissandos

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MikeS
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeS » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:05 am

I am having trouble implementing glissandos in Finale 2014.

Once I write in the two notes I want to connect, along with rests in between, I use the glissando tool to connect the two notes. Upon playback, instead of a smooth glissando, the playback consists of a quick repetition of the first note for the duration of the glissando and a single hit of the second note at the end. No notes in between, it's as if there were no notes in between for it to play. What is the issue here? I've tried manipulating glissando settings, but nothing seems to work. The other day, while writing a piece, I put a glissando in, expecting the same sad result, but out of the blue, IT WORKED! It was a miracle. I was beside myself with joy... but I immediately attempted to recreate the same exact glissando further in the piece, and it would not work. When I copied and pasted the previous glissando in a different location, it worked fine. But, if I attempted to transfer it from the current instrument (piano) to the organ, I again found that it wouldn't work properly... It has become a great hinderance, and I cannot find a solution anywhere. Please Help!!!!

Thanks!

Mike

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:19 am

Welcome to the forum!

We need more info from you.

1) Are you always playing Finale through MIDI?
Or always through Audio Units?

2) Many of the playback effects in Finale are handled by Human Playback - including glissando.
Take a look at the settings in Human Playback - is Human Playback set to interpret glissando?

Human Playback is document specific.
Different documents can have different Human Playback settings.
Thus, one document may interpret glissando, while another document does not.
Copying music from one document to another does not transfer Human Playback settings between the two documents.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

MikeS
Finale Version: 2014

Post by MikeS » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 pm

I always use audio units, as well as the Smart Music sounds rather than Garritan. Just now, I created a new document with piano, organ and violin, created glissandos on all of them that worked. When I opened an existing document with the same exact settings and tried to make a glissando, it failed. Tell me more about accessing/adjusting the human playback/glissando settings. I feel like that may be were the error lies. My only other theory is that The new OSX and Finale 2014 aren't quite agreeing. This has only been an issue on my new laptop, with Finale 2014. I have encountered small error on this laptop: randomly, when I click to input a note on a staff, it will input a note on whatever line or space is below the note I have moved the mouse over. Any experience with that issue?

Again, thank you for your help and advice!

-Mike

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:07 pm

MikeS wrote:I always use audio units, as well as the Smart Music sounds rather than Garritan…
If you always play Finale through Audio Units, then you can not use the SmartMusic SoftSynth.
You can only use the SmartMusic SoftSynth if you play Finale through MIDI.
Take a look at the top of the MIDI/Audio menu.
It is either “Play Finale Through Audio Units” or “Play Finale Through MIDI”.
This setting is document specific (not program specific).
Perhaps you are playing Finale through Audio Units in some documents, and through MIDI in other documents?

MikeS wrote:…Just now, I created a new document with piano, organ and violin, created glissandos on all of them that worked. When I opened an existing document with the same exact settings and tried to make a glissando, it failed…
Obviously the settings can not be “the same exact settings”.
Somewhere there must be a difference between the two documents.
If you will let us examine them (or just two small sample documents containing only a fraction of the original documents), then we might be able to find the difference.
This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.
Before you can attach a Finale document here, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

NB:
When you play back a document with Human Playback on, you will notice a short waiting time, since the Human Playback effects must be calculated first - “on the fly”.
The outcome of these calculations is not saved in the document, and must be calculated every time you play back the document.
Instead of using Human Playback “on the fly” you can also set Human Playback to “None” (= Human Playback off), and run the plug-in Apply Human Playback.
The plug-in will write the playback effects into the document so that the document will play back with all the Human Playback effects, although Human Playback is off.

MikeS wrote:…Tell me more about accessing/adjusting the human playback/glissando settings. I feel like that may be were the error lies…
Go to
MIDI/Audio menu > Human Playback > Human Playback Preferences…
and click the chiclet “Glissandi/Bends”.
Here you can see the actual settings.

MikeS wrote:…I have encountered small error on this laptop: randomly, when I click to input a note on a staff, it will input a note on whatever line or space is below the note I have moved the mouse over…
I must admit that I seldom click to input notes, as I find keyboard entry faster.
But here is an idea:
The culprit could be an unfortunate combination of the screen resolution and the zoom level.
What happens if you try a higher zoom level - e. g. 200 % ?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

wweigel49
Finale Version: 25.4.1.163

Post by wweigel49 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

I am writing a trombone piece and have found the glissando tool (Smart Shapes) playback to be totally unusable. A glissando should start on the pitch of the first note and gradually move to the pitch of the second note. Playback using the glissando tool, however, lowers the pitch of the first note by two or three semitones before the glissando even begins. So I don't ever hear the pitch of the starting note; I just hear a wrong note. (Is this what is meant by "human playback"? :? ) I have tried changing all of the glissando settings under the Preferences/Human Playback, but none of them work. So I have given up.

Any magic solutions to this problem?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 am

If it's lowering the pitch, you may not be applying it right. If you can attach an example .musx file, someone might be able to help. I don't know that Finale can play a trombone glissando, though, since the playback is discrete notes. Perhaps a MIDI feature.

bvstudios
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by bvstudios » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 am

FWIW, I knocked this together to test the Gliss in 14.5, and I do not hear "steps" in the glissandos. The downward gliss is particularly slippery-sounding.

Used GPO trombone #1 and HP set to "standard" in error, but it works the same with HP set to pop or jazz.

Seems to work for me...
Attachments
Gliss Blliss.rar
(86.53 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
K M Frye
BVStudios
Victoria
Finale 26, 2014.5, 2012 Print Music 2011b, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000,1997
GPO4, JABB3, World Instruments.
S-I drums