Playback Problem

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ikviakninoff
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by Ikviakninoff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi, I’ve been using Finale for a long time and this is the first time I encounter this problem. The program is performing the playback perfectly from any measure until I get to measure 349. For some reason I can not start the playback from this specific measure and further. The weird thing is that if I start from the mesure before (348) it plays everything without a problem but if I choose to start from measure 349, 350 and so on it just doesn't play.

Is there any way this can be fixed? I ask because I have lots of music left to write for this piece and starting from 348 to get to other measures would be definitely a problem.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:42 am

Welcome to the forum!

Please the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.
The more we know, the better we can help.
Here are some ideas:

1) Is the problem isolated to this particular Finale document - or does it also happen in other documents?

2) Have you tried trashing your preferences file? Tested a brand new user account?
Rebooted? Any germane log message in Console app? What is Activity Monitor showing?

3) What happens if you make a duplicate copy of the document, open the duplicate, and delete some measures before measure 349?
Does that help?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:25 pm

A shot in the dark :
In the Playback controls, make sure that the end measure is not set to a measure which is in the middle of the piece. Enter a higher number there or select until the end.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Ikviakninoff
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by Ikviakninoff » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Please the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.
The more we know, the better we can help.
Here are some ideas:

1) Is the problem isolated to this particular Finale document - or does it also happen in other documents?

2) Have you tried trashing your preferences file? Tested a brand new user account?
Rebooted? Any germane log message in Console app? What is Activity Monitor showing?

3) What happens if you make a duplicate copy of the document, open the duplicate, and delete some measures before measure 349?
Does that help?

Thanks Peter!

I’ll try this things out.

How do I trash de preference files and what does this do?

On your second question, no message appear. It’s almost like Finale just “pause” the playback until I assign a “playable” measure. When I start on measure 349 It doesn’t do nothing, not even a message, it does not crashes... nothing. But while it is “trying” to do the playback (that never actually play) if I hit backwards to the measure 348, it suddenly starts playing... Its weird.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Ikviakninoff wrote:…How do I trash the preference files and what does this do?…
1) First, quit Finale if it is running.

From a Finder window, hold down the alt key, and go to
Go menu > Library
You will get to the Library folder in your user account.

From the Library folder, go to the sub-folder Preferences.

In the Preferences folder, look for a file called Finale 2014 Preferences.
Move it to the Trash.

Then launch Finale 2014 again.
Finale will create a new, fresh Preferences file in the folder Preferences.

2) What the Preferences file does:
It is a file containing Finale’s program settings, such as e. g. the size and position of the document window.
Some times the Preferences file can get corrupt, and cause Finale to behave strangely.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996