1st & 2nd [instrument] on one staff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gittles
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Gittles » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I am wondering how to get the 1st and 2nd flute/F Horn/Trumpet etc. parts to show up on one staff on the score to save space. The parts I can't figure out are; still being able to edit the individual parts (separately) if necessary, and how to get the score to reflect the change by notating that Flutes 1 & 2 are on the same staff.

The best example I have of this is the Symphonic Band.musx "Default Document". I am also curious how to set up the braces like Bb Clarinet, Cornet, and Horns are set up since they're all the same instrument, but still need 2 staves. Same goes for the Percussion grouping at the bottom, where 'perc.' shows up once and 1,2, or 3 is simply notated next to the corresponding staff.

Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Gittles wrote:…I am wondering how to get the 1st and 2nd flute/F Horn/Trumpet etc. parts to show up on one staff on the score to save space. The parts I can't figure out are; still being able to edit the individual parts (separately) if necessary, and how to get the score to reflect the change by notating that Flutes 1 & 2 are on the same staff…
Are you an experienced Finale user?
I am not sure, how detailed instructions you need?

Anyway, here is the short version:
Document menu > Manage Parts…
In the dialog box Manage Parts, click the button “Edit Part Definition >>” to expand the view.
What you need here, is to create two new parts from the staff with the Flutes 1 & 2.
You could call the two new parts “Flute 1” and “Flute 2”.
For each of the two parts, select the part, and use the feature “Voicing” to specify what notes the parts should display.

Gittles wrote:…I am also curious how to set up the braces like Bb Clarinet, Cornet, and Horns are set up since they're all the same instrument, but still need 2 staves. Same goes for the Percussion grouping at the bottom, where 'perc.' shows up once and 1,2, or 3 is simply notated next to the corresponding staff…
I am not sure I understand.

The way I learned it, parentheses are distinctly round ( ) and brackets are square [ ], though I don't know if that is true everywhere. Braces are curly { }.

Anyway, what you are talking about, is - in “Finalespeak” - called a staff group.

To add a staff group:
Staff Tool.
Staff menu > Groups and Brackets > Add…

In the dialog box Group Attributes you can specify all the settings for the new staff group:
- measure range
- Top Staff/Bottom Staff
- group bracket
&c.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Gittles

Post by Gittles » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Anyway, here is the short version:
Document menu > Manage Parts…
In the dialog box Manage Parts, click the button “Edit Part Definition >>” to expand the view.
What you need here, is to create two new parts from the staff with the Flutes 1 & 2.
You could call the two new parts “Flute 1” and “Flute 2”.
For each of the two parts, select the part, and use the feature “Voicing” to specify what notes the parts should display.
I tried adding Flute 2 to Flute 1, but it did not happen in the score. I noticed when I went to edit Flute 1, Flute 2 was also present in it's own staff system. I also tried making an entirely new part and adding Flute 1 & 2 to it, but only the part gets generated (to edit) and it doesn't appear in the score. The last method I tried was to add Flute 2 to 1 and deleting Flute 2 from the Score Manager. This appeared to work, however, it also completely deleted the part from both the new singular Flute part and the score entirely.

Maybe I misinterpreted your instructions, but it didn't work for me. I just one one staff with 2 parts on it shown on the score, while I can select and print too distinct parts in Document > Edit Part > ...

Anyway, what you are talking about, is - in “Finalespeak” - called a staff group.

To add a staff group:
Staff Tool.
Staff menu > Groups and Brackets > Add…

In the dialog box Group Attributes you can specify all the settings for the new staff group:
- measure range
- Top Staff/Bottom Staff
- group bracket
&c.
This part was perfect! I got the score to reflect exactly what I wanted by messing around a little with the Staff Tool, thanks!

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Gittles wrote:…I am wondering how to get the 1st and 2nd flute/F Horn/Trumpet etc. parts to show up on one staff on the score to save space. The parts I can't figure out are; still being able to edit the individual parts (separately) if necessary, and how to get the score to reflect the change by notating that Flutes 1 & 2 are on the same staff…
This is the reason why I asked, whether you are an experienced Finale user.

Do you know, how to notate Flute 1 & Flute 2 on the same staff in the score?

Do you know of Layers in Finale? (there are 4 Layers, Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3, and Layer 4).

Do you know, how to notate chords in Finale?
I do not mean chord symbols, but rather two or more notes sharing the same stem.

Have you done the Finale tutorials?
Have you watched the Finale videos?
Both the tutorials and the videos should have been installed on the computer during a normal Finale installation.

Gittles

Post by Gittles » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 pm

This is the reason why I asked, whether you are an experienced Finale user.

Do you know, how to notate Flute 1 & Flute 2 on the same staff in the score?

Do you know of Layers in Finale? (there are 4 Layers, Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3, and Layer 4).

Do you know, how to notate chords in Finale?
I do not mean chord symbols, but rather two or more notes sharing the same stem.

Have you done the Finale tutorials?
Have you watched the Finale videos?
Both the tutorials and the videos should have been installed on the computer during a normal Finale installation.
I understand! Yeah, I'm experienced. I've seen all of the videos, understand layers and copy/paste rules. The only thing I forget is how to notate chords. If I need to, I'll usually just use the simple entry palate and notate above or below as necessary! :roll:

One of the tricks I figured out with the Staff Tool is applying a staff style to the part. Styles 25 and below helped tremendously with aiding the professional look I was going for.

Keeping that in mind, I copied the Clarinet 3 over to Clarinet 2 (Layer 2), deleted the Clarinet 3 part, and applied Staff Style 25a to Clarinet 1, and 25e to Clarinet 2. I then renamed Clarinet 2 to Clarinet 2 3 with the Document > Manage Parts... Edit Part Name.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:02 pm

It sounds like you have it all figured out by now.

If you have more questions, let me know.