Time Signature Help (Fractions)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

alexyuwen
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by alexyuwen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering how I could input, for example, a 5 1/2 4 time signature into Finale. Currently, I'm notating it simply as 11 8 but I would prefer 5 1/2 4.

For an example of how such a time signature would appear, see http://midnightmusic.net/MusicTheory/em ... 5Music.jpg

I would also be interested in learning how to input 5.5 4, if this is possible.

Lastly, is it possible to input a question mark as a time signature? I would like notate a section of improvised music where the time (tempo) is maintained but there is no defined time signature.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:53 pm

Take a look at the attached Finale 2012 document.
Attachments
FractionalTimeSignature2012.mus.zip
(4.76 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

damienthecomposer
Finale Version: 2012.r3
Operating System: Windows

Post by damienthecomposer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 am

You can create a decimal time signature without using special expressions; just use the Composite dialog box in the Time Signature tool. I guess the only problem is that it puts the dot a little high.

The false time sigs are really nifty, though. Lots of fine-tuning to get the placement of the fractions just right.

Peter, I couldn't tell how you hid the time signature at the beginning in your document. There wasn't a staff style or a staff setting to hide it. What did you do?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:06 pm

damienthecomposer wrote:…Peter, I couldn't tell how you hid the time signature at the beginning in your document. There wasn't a staff style or a staff setting to hide it. What did you do?
To hide the time signature in the first measure I used the Measure Tool.
Measure Attributes > Time Signature: Always Hide

I used the Measure Tool since
- in a multistaff score a measure goes vertically through all the staves (whereas a staff goes horizontally through all the measures),
- in this example there are no polymeters (staves with independent time signatures).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996