Palette, bootup screen display issues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

JeffBatt
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by JeffBatt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi all,
I am running windows 10 on my (second) new laptop, which is a 13.3 inch.
This issue I'm asking about happens on either.
When Finale (2014.5) boots up, that initial popup box is way too small, and I can't stretch it out.
Also, while the score itself is fine, and no problems zooming in or out,
the pallet of tools across the top, and down the size are way too small. I've tried display adjustments,
but these things are not affected. Has anyone else encountered this?
Is there a fix for this?
Thanks for shedding any light.
I'm thinking of just going with a macbook pro....

Jeff

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Please specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.
- Have you tried trashing the Finale Preferences file?
- Tested a brand new user account? *)
- Rebooted?

*)
Problems can be caused by incorrect, conflicting or corrupt user preferences across a range of different frameworks; corrupt user cache files; problem processes that the user is running. Testing the problem in a brand new user account can identify whether the problem is system-wide (i.e. a direct problem with application code and the OS); or some issue relating to the user account as listed, which can be fixed locally. As this is a rare (though not unheard of) problem, it's likely that it can be remedied at your end and is not some fatal flaw.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

JeffBatt

Post by JeffBatt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Please specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.
- Have you tried trashing the Finale Preferences file?
- Tested a brand new user account? *)
- Rebooted?
- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The steps I've tried have been playing with the Windows 10 display and adapter resolution settings.
I can make the menu and headings bigger or smaller but the startup box is 'micro', as is also the icon palettes.

Not sure what you mean with a brand new user account..
This is an offline problem. I have tried googling this, as I believe it is just another thing to love about windows 10-
it seems to be common and like many win10 issues have been around since win8.
I'm not inferring that this is a Finale issue, but I'm wondering if this has happened before, and if there
could be a hack/tweak I might be able to do.
Also, I should note that this is happening on a notebook with a 13.3 screen
So, fixes have been just trying different display settings.
1. "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" I keep it at 250% which is best, and didn't affect these specific items
2. In advanced display settings, in "advanced sizing of text and other items", I've tried different settings, but, again
nothing changes the palletts or start up screen. Also, if I click on "about Finale" that box, same thing...

I've taken a screen shot, but I can't attach or paste here. I did send it as an attachment to a help submission.

- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*)
Problems can be caused by incorrect, conflicting or corrupt user preferences across a range of different frameworks; corrupt user cache files; problem processes that the user is running. Testing the problem in a brand new user account can identify whether the problem is system-wide (i.e. a direct problem with application code and the OS); or some issue relating to the user account as listed, which can be fixed locally. As this is a rare (though not unheard of) problem, it's likely that it can be remedied at your end and is not some fatal flaw.

JeffBatt

Post by JeffBatt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

I've never explored the preferences (thanks for mentioning that) Nothing seems to work there.
I went into 'palettes' and tried 'large icons', restarted, no difference there.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:04 pm

JeffBatt wrote:I've never explored the preferences (thanks for mentioning that) Nothing seems to work there…
The Win Finale preferences file is called Finale.ini.
It resides in the Finale 2014.5 folder.

You can delete your Finale Preferences to reset settings back to what they were when Finale was originally installed.

1. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014.5
The AppData directory is hidden by default, so you will have to set the option to display hidden files before you can see it in the Explorer.
2. Look for the "FINMIDI.ini" and "Finale.ini" files
3. Drag them to your desktop
4. Restart Finale and you will be set to go.

Once you see that Finale has been started successfully, you can delete the old INI files you dragged to your desktop.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

JeffBatt

Post by JeffBatt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks, Pete, I will try that.
Just to note, I hadn't changed any preferences when I installed Finale, but maybe it will get fooled into a fresh start.
I suspect, though that this is more of a Windows 10/ 13.3 inch display type of problem.
Will keep you posted.

JeffBatt

Post by JeffBatt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Tried, it, and nothing was different.
I didn't think it would, as the only thing I did was to implement the soft synth for midi sounds.
This is something to do with the display. And I don't think this is a Finale problem.
I think it's a windows problem.
I do have this problem, I discovered with one other app.
I wish I could paste a screen shot in here, but I did attach one to my support ticket, 151205-000025.
I'm leaning toward Macbook, but I'm hesitating as there are no skylake processors in those, so,
I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger on that yet. I'm checking to see if I'd be missing out on a performance
hit that I'll regret later. It's not like I'm doing music on this computer. But i do use Finale on it.

JeffBatt

Post by JeffBatt » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:49 am

Peter,
Well, nothing previously worked, but poking around enough, a search brought me back to Make Music....

http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answe ... lay-issues

Needs some tweaking, and I have to find some resolution and sizes I can live with.
I hope they do find a fix for it. The resolution hit is very obvious. But, there definitely is a combination somewhere
that works.