Quarter note quadruplets in 3/4 time

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

johnwaylandharr
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by johnwaylandharr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Doe anyone know how to create a quarter note quadruplet in 3/4 time in Finale 2014.5? The Tuplet Definition box is giving me the option of placing 4 quarter notes in the space of 3 but the appearance is coming up with a "4" bracket that has three quarter notes and a dotted eighth note. It's not allowing me to change the dotted eighth note to a quarter. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forum!

There are 7 ways to enter notes in Finale.
The problem you describe (when ending a measure with a tuplet), does not occur in most entry methods.

Let me guess (blindfolded!):
You are using the Simple Entry Tool, right?
And in the dialog box Simple Entry Options you have the option “Check for Extra Notes” selected, right?

When you enter a tuplet at the end of a measure, you temporarily “overfill” the measure.
This conflicts with “Check for Extra Notes”.

De-select “Check for Extra Notes”, and Finale allows you to “overfill” a measure.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

johnwaylandharr
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by johnwaylandharr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome Peter! You are correct that I was using the "Simple Entry Tool" for entering notes. This solution worked perfectly. I wouldn't have guessed to try this so this is a big help. Thanks again!

Egroge
Finale Version: 2014

Post by Egroge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:05 am

Hello!

I have the same problem. My apologies, I don't understand Peter's comment or how it can help me.

Here is my process so far:

Enter first quater note in a bar of 3/4, then choose the tuplet tool, get the dialogue box and choose 4 quarter notes in the space of 3 quarter notes. Note: I do not see any option to De-select “Check for Extra Notes”.
PastedGraphic-4.jpg
PastedGraphic-4.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Here is the result:
PastedGraphic-1.jpg
PastedGraphic-1.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
I'm hoping Peter or someone else can help. 4:3 is quite common in music that I come accross and write, and needs to be easily entered. Thanks so much for any help!

Egroge

Post by Egroge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:20 am

PS Why would Finale fill a measure of 3/4 with 15 16th notes, as I see it did in the example I shared? How does that relate to "4 quarter notes in the space of 3 quarter notes". I have to wonder if this is some sort of glitch in the program -- though I won't be surprised if there is something I have overlooked.

Thanks, in advance for any advice!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:52 am

Not a problem. Don't use the tuplet tool.

Enter your first quarter note. On a Mac, tap Option-9. That takes you to the tuplet definition box, where you can set 4 <current> in the space of 3 <current>. Since you say you have a lot of these, you might want to check <Save as Default>

Click OK. You will be returned to your score, where you will see the first quarter note, the bracket, and 3 quarter rests. Just enter your next notes. Don't delete the rests, or anything.

The next time you have this figure, enter the first note, 9, and the rest of the notes. No need to go back to the Tuplet Definition unless you want to change it.
Attachments
quadruplet.png
quadruplet.png (72.24 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Egroge

Post by Egroge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Thank you Miker! Works great!!